close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new rifle law fix in the works?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Management' started by PRED, Feb 8, 2017.

1. i hear they have a bill up, that changes the law. supposed to allow anything over 243, if it passes. thats the way it should have been in the first place. imo does anyone know where a guy can find out what the wording is? or if this is even true? lol it is just hearsay to me so far.

2. HB 1415 was passed out of the Natural Resource Committee.

3. thank you for the info. as new law states, anything 243 and up is legal! good news for those 45/70 lovers.

4. Not sure if it "fixes" anything......just makes choices more wide open than ever.

5. What???
    Where's the link?
    You sure your not reading last years legislation?

6. Ok can someone Clarify this for me? So if I am reading this correctly my .270 is now legal here in Indiana on private property?

7. ******For all those wandering this is what I found out by researching a little bit. Is this last years law or this years law?

• The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches
    • The rifle cartridges must have a cartridge case length of least 1.16 inches
    • The rifle cartridge must fire a bullet with a diameter that is
    • .243 inches (or 6 mm); or
    • .308 inches (or 7.62 mm)
    • No cartridges with a bullet diameter between .243 and .308 are legal (such as the .270 Winchester)
    • A hunter may not possess more than 10 such cartridges while in the field

Rifles with pistol cartridges that have been allowed in previous years may still be used to hunt deer on both private and public land.

Additional cartridges that are legal under HEA 1231 include, but are not limited to, the following:

• 6mm-06
    • 6mm BR Remington
    • 6mm PPC
    • 6mm Remington
    • .240 Weatherby
    • .243 Winchester
    • .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
    • .30 Carbine
    • .30 Herrett
    • .30 Remington AR
    • .30-06 Springfield
    • .30-30 Winchester
    • .30-40 Krag
    • .300 AAC Blackout (.300 Whisper)
    • .300 H&H Magnum
    • .300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum
    • .300 Savage
    • .300 Weatherby Magnum
    • .300 Winchester Magnum
    • .300 Winchester Short Magnum
    • .300 Remington Ultra Magnum
    • .308 Marlin
    • .308 Winchester
    • 7.62x39mm
    • 7.62x54mmR

There are other cartridges that meet the law’s specifications, and there are others that do not. A partial list of cartridges that are not allowed under HEA 1231 includes the .270 Winchester, .38-55 Winchester, .444 Marlin, and .45-70 Government.

HEA 1231 is scheduled to expire after the 2020 deer season, at which time the DNR will submit an impact report to the governor and the General Assembly.

Contact the DNR's Phil Bloom with additional questions:
    Phone: (317) 232-4003
    Email: PBloom@dnr.IN.gov

8. HB1415 passed out of the house. On to the Senate.....

9. It will be if this passes and gets signed. Until then, same rules apply as last year.

10. Remember, the first attempt at HP rifle failed. By giving it "limits" (real and or imagines) it passed. The legislature passed 5 cartridges but did not list proper names, to the DNR "clarified it" (which allowed more than just the "five").

So for those that claim it should have been .24 and larger all along.............well if it was, maybe we wouldn't even have gotten a HP rifle allowance.

Think people management, not ballistics.

Since it went over well, without incident..........they are trying to add more, even before the trial period is up.

I understand incremental legislation. It works and most that would complain just grumble and things progress.

Like assault rifle and ammo bans.

Legal increments can work both ways...........