close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1st Morel Sightings

Discussion in 'Mushroom Hunting' started by goggleye57, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Sightings only please - start other threads to discuss - Approximate area and conditions would be great, like "a sunny southeast slope by dead elms". size and numbers. Ok Southern Hoosiers - Lets go!:)

2. on Morels.com- blacks found in various places in Kentucky. A couple reports of a few blacks found around Evansville on the Indiana side of the Ohio. :)

3. black mushrooms spotted

A guy in Spencer area of Owen County has found 15 or so of the small black mushrooms around last day of March. Reported by Gene at Spencer Bait and Tackle.

Eric

4. Found 18 blacks and peppertops Sunday in Franklin County. Most were on south facing slopes.

5. Found 42 on Monday in Dearborn county on a south facing slope all blacks

6. Good times ahead???

Weather report calling for rain starting tonight and rain through Sunday with temps in the 70's....Sounds like mushroom weather.

7. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

I'm going up to the lake this weekend to do some work...got a woods behind the cottage....................Ok, now what in the heck am I looking for?

I've heard that mushroom hunting takes a trained eye....I don't have one....help me out here.

Cary

8. Cary, do you mean which are safe to eat, or how to actually spot locations that may be good?

9. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

I can find the ones that are poisonous....I need to know where to look for morels

10. Mushrooming will be a new quest for me this year too. I've heard folks say look around fallen ash trees, and on south facing slopes.

If we don't find any, does it mean we're A-morel?

11. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

I'm an English teacher....not sure what an ash looks like (white bark)

No, we're not A-morel....just hope we don't make an ash of ourselves.

12. some of the best places to look are around elm trees that have just died...really any tree that has just died is a good start. thickets and underbrush where the ground has an insulator are good areas to check. Also check around big ash trees later in the season year for big yellows. south facing slopes are good now because they get the most sun but they also have to get moisture. Ditch lines always in the woods seem to produce. Hope that helps a little and i'm sure there are other places where people have found them as well.

13. No, it means you're A MORON!!!!!!!:chicken: !!!!

14. As a long standing really bad morel hunter, I say we need a morel outing. Let the big dogs teach the pups.

15. Got a few in the bag...17 to be exact...yellows...been working and staying at Turkey Run...pics to follow...as soon as I figure out how to do it...my computer guru is on some beach in Florida...