close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2005 Gun Season - Pictures

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by Beagleman_Dan, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Hey folks, I bagged an 8-point tonight about 5:30 PM. Once I saw there was a blood trail we went back and got the ATV and flashlights.

I don't know how to post pictures here yet, so pics will have to wait 'til later. I'm pooped, and going back out in the morning.

-Dan- ;)

2. Congratulations! Looking forward to the pics...
    My youngest boy got his first deer opening morning and I too need to get the ability to post pics. Looks like we both have some work to do. :)
    Jeff

3. picture posting

You need to upload your picture into photobucket. Pick the pictures you want, then click on the generate link button. cut the link so you can post it here.

Click on the little yellow looking button at the top of the reply page. and put the link in that you cut off photobucket. good luck

4. OK folks. I think I've figured this out.
    Below is a picture of me, my buck, and my 11-yr. old who will be in the blind with me next year trying to bag his first deer.

[​IMG]

5. Way to go Dan.

I shot another button buck at first light Saturday. Only 5 yds from my archery kill this year. The striker in 308 dropped him in his tracks.
    I get picked on by some of my buds that allways seem to get the big deer. I tell them "Where else can you get 40 lbs of veal for $25 ?"

6. Heres a pic of my first buck. I Shot it opening morning around 8:05. I was shooting the Winchester Partition Gold Slugs. I have them sighted in for 150 yds and was able to put 2 slugs in this guy at 195 yds. Scored as a non-typical hes an 11 point that dressed over 200 lbs. I guess its downhill from here, kill a buck of a lifetime for your first buck what do you do to top it? Guess its time to go out and get a nice doe so I have some meat worth cutting into steaks and roasts as this one is so big and old hes getting turned into sausage, hamburger, and salame.
    You are right where else can you get 40 lbs of veal for $25 thats more meat thats not ground up than I am getting out of this 200 lb plus deer.
    DAN - Way to go great looking buck and I bet your son looks foreward to going out with you this coming year.
    I know it was truly special to have my dad there with me this year right after I shot this monster and to be able to share the weekend with two of my uncles as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Very nice buck there Bipolaroutdoorsman. Very nice.

But, do not think that you have to top the previous year's kill each and every time you go hunting. That would ruin your mind, and take away that great feeling you experienced with this buck. Believe me, each time I take a deer, I feel a feeling of success inside, even when I shoot a doe.

I will tell you one more thing. When it is your first buck you kill, you will remembr it for the rest of your life, no matter how many points it had. That first one will always be a special treasure in your memory bank.

And if all this ain't enough to convince you that is still worth it to keep hunting, think about this. There are bigger deer out there. Just don't think that you have to take a monster buck every year.

Again, congratulations on a very nice first buck.
    -Dan- ;)

8. Thanks Dan for the words of wisdom.

I agree with you that there is a sense of excitement from shooting a doe. I am a meat hunter, thats how I was tought as I was raised hunting. Be it from my Grandfather, father, or uncle, I have been tought that you hunt for food and you eat what you kill. I hunt for enjoyment and the fulfillment of filling the freezer with meat for the coming year.
    I don't feel the need to kill a buck every year, I have killed a doe or button buck every year but one since I was old enough to hunt deer here in Michigan at age 14 and now I am 22. My statements about it being downhill from here were more towards killing a buck of that size not about hunting. There is nothing downhilll about continuing to hunt with family and friends and harvesting good deer.
    Thanks again for your words of wisdom. I look foreward to going out tomorrow for the Michigan opener with my father and I am sure you look foreward to the opener next year with your son. Whats better than a father and son being able to share a passion and a love.

9. Steve

Steve Admin Mod

Just a reminder to you guys that you can upload your picture right here in our "Photo Gallery" for free and post them here or elsewhere on the internet.

10. Bipolar outdoorsman,

If you let your deer hang for 3-5 days @30 to 50 degrees, it will help tenderize that meat. It worked on my 200 lb buck from last year. Good eating!

11. We normally let them hang for that amount of time unfortunately, the day I killed it it was 67 degrees there in southern Indiana and We were worried about letting it hang for 2 days with temps in the 60's. IF I get one today during the opener up here, it will hang as its cooled off nicely now.

12. Well, I filled my doe tag over the weekend. A normal sized doe at approximately 130 lbs. I guessed her to be a 2 year old. She still had a bit of milk in her udders. This deer will be used for summer sausage & jerky, and a few more steaks. I think this is the first time I remember taking two deer in one year. After bringing home 70 lbs. of meat from my 8-point, this extra meat will have us eating good until next year.
    -Dan- ;)

P.S. I got a photo, but who wants to see a ball-headed deer? :rolleyes:

13. Let em go and let em grow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!