close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2006 Secondary Rut...

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by anon782010, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Dean, or any other great pervayor of whitetail knowledge...

It is my understanding that doe fawns reach sexual maturity at around 70 pounds. At that time they are able to breed. Virtually everyone has expressed that the 2006 secondary rut was insane by typical standards.

Is it possible, that the ultra mild fall and winter, led to enough browse and forage growth late, and the lack of nasty winter storms made it available enough, that it is as simple as more doe fawns reaching the 70 lb mark in late november and december?

Does that sounds reasonable, am I off my rocker, or did someone else already say it and I missed it?

2. I don't know for sure, but I think a fawn breeding is based on age and not on weight. I dont know for sure though I might just be talking for no reason.

3. Outdoor life article last month said that whitetail deer attain sexual maturity at 70 lbs...I am just working with the information that I have seen...

4. That has t depend on geography. A Couse deer or a Florida whitetail may only weigh 90 pounds as an adult. Throw in the 300 pounders from Canada, and the weight thing holds no water in my opinion.

5. How much of the second rut you get and see depends largely on the number of deer your area holds and the buck to doe ratio. For the first time in 7 years the area I hunt mainly has the number of deer in check along with a good buck to doe ratio, so we didn't see much second rut activity due to most of the does being bred and the number of deer being lower than years past. Some intense chasing in the first rut resulted from this. It sounds like areas with way too many does had a good second rut this year. Didn't see any yearlings being chased late this year.

6. Good point...just flippin through a magazine today and saw that...had a wild thought...DOH...i need to quit doing that...:hide:

7. "Sexual Maturity" is a relative term when it comes to whitetails. I will post the question about the intense Secondary Breeding Period to experts and see what their response is.

8. Shouldn't have read that when I was eating. cough cough cough

9. Does will ovulate according to their health which is directly related to the food supply and their habitat.

I studied this question in my college wildlife biology class. One of our assignments for that class was to look at deer ovaries that had been harvested from deer shot at Crane Naval Warfare lands and we had to count the number of cysts on the ovaries. Each cyst represented a egg follicle what had been released. We found more follicles on deer from better healthy habitats than from deer that lived on poor habitats.

Also the age of the deer can be determine by examining the wear on the molars or deer back teeth. The more ridges the younger the deer. But you have to calibrate this method of aging the deer with the type of food they eat. Some foods will wear down the teeth faster than other food. Deer eat a variety of browse and other fruits such as persimmon.

So you have to study the heard in different locations and then you can tell what's going on with the deer biology more precisely and accurately.

I am sure that if there were some wildlife biology majors in here they would give us more info on this. I only took a few course in Wildlife Biology. I majored in Environmental Science and Conservation of Natural Resources at Purdue University. Professor Weeks was the guy teaching this wildlife biology 350 level class.

Deer weight would be heavier if the deer have good food supply. If the deer population is living in very poor habitat and there is little food they may become stunted.

Also in biology where animal populations get too big there is a biological feedback mechanism that will prevent the deer from ovulating as often. So they will not have as many young. This is most likely due to the health of the deer. Over population of deer heard leads to poor health and lack of essential nutrients that are needed to produce new young. Certain minerals may be missing from the deer's diet in areas that are over browsed and this lack of nutrients can stunt the growth.

So you see it's a little more complicated that just going by the weight of a deer to see if they are ready to mate or not. I wish it were easier than this but that's not the way nature works.

10. Don't hold your breath mosseIam. The fact you only took a few wildlife biology courses is the reason you can answer the questions. On a serious note, thanks for your input! Greatly apprecieated. Let me know when you are ready for more questions, I'll PM them to you.

11. Hey Moose, are you familiar with the Cementum Annuli method of aging whitetails (and other cervidae)?