Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Plant Deer Nature Natural material Elk

I found my buck! 8 scorable points - I need to replace a doe with this one. I will post pics with me in them later if needed - just tough to do by myself with this stupid flip phone!

If my math is right - team 12 just took the lead!!!!! Oh - did that just happen????

·
Administrator
3,976 Posts
View attachment 10522
I found my buck! 8 scorable points - I need to replace a doe with this one. I will post pics with me in them later if needed - just tough to do by myself with this stupid flip phone!

If my math is right - team 12 just took the lead!!!!! Oh - did that just happen????
Nice, congrats.

·
Registered
276 Posts
View attachment 10522

Great job J Bird! Worked your tail off to find this deer and do the right thing by that animal. It's what it's all about and the best tribute to the animal. You may have answered elsewhere the story behind the shot, how far away he went etc. is that story somewhere else and I just overlooked it? Congrats bro and great job in finding him!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
QW2 - I post in a few places so I am not sure if it's here and if so where. I pulled the shot - entered half way up the body and just caught the last rib or two. Downward angle from being elevated caued the shot to exit just before I removed his boy parts! From the best I can determine the deer traveled roughly a mile from where I shot him. If I had not made stupid mistakes in tracking the stroy would have had a happier ending.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I like the ending. I have tugged a shot to the left a time or two as well, but great job on finding that deer! You worked your tail off for it. I did the same thing 4 years ago and I ended up finding him the next day. It was the last 10 minutes of gun season and this six pointer popped out of the ground. I should not have shot him but it was just one of those things. I tugged the shot and hit him behind the lungs. Coyotes found him before I did, however. You can imagine how perturbed I was. Shouldn't have shot him and then I spend 1 day looking for him and just got lucky! anyway, congratulations. He's a nice deer!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
QW2 - my buck was within our harvest guidelines - I just pulled the shot. I don't make excusses for when I screw up. I know folks just try to be supportive, but it wasn't my equipment or anything else - based on the evidence I should have A-waited for a better shot and B-made a better shot. The tracking was another series of blunders on my part and again it's all things I know better than to do, but for some reason I just didn't stop to think. We took to tracking way too soon, and instead of backing out we continued to push and bumped him, maybe even twice. My entire ordeal with this deer was self-inflicted. I will tell you this - I will remember these things for a long time and hopefully not repeat them anytime soon. Maybe I got cocky and needed to be knocked down rung or two that's OK with me. The biggest thing is Ifound him. Even though I screwed up all along the way - I was able to gain some closure and at least followed thru with recovery. For those that may ask - yes I actually tagged him. FYI if you ever find your deer beyond the 48 hour check in window - contact your CO office. A physical check statinwill NOT allow you tocheckyour deer after the 48 hour window without speaking to a CO about it first. Have your local CO dispatch number in your phone just in case.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
J-Bird let me add something to your story please. First thank you for being an good example of determination. I hear on this site and in person of guys shooting their buck/doe looking an hour or so and then stating "I must not have hit it good" "Couldn't find it" "Bad broadhead" "Lost the blood trail"....I have not been in a position to shoot that many deer. You kept up on it, manned up and stated facts. Now as far as mistakes, we make them all the time. As an avid turkey junky I have blown so many set ups because I failed to do the things I know are the right things to do. Just like tracking and shot placement in deer. Quickly- I blew a hunt a few years back because I did the classic turkey hunter blunder; "If I can just get 5 feet more" and in that 5 feet I went from being hidden to being seen. I did close the deal later that day on a different bird in the same area, but I blew the hunt I had. Happens to us all and if you say otherwise....yes that is what I thought :)

141 - 160 of 165 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.