close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A little help please

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by Buckhunter, Jul 17, 2006.

1. After hunting the same property for 19 years and after numerous scouting trips this spring I was told I was not welcome back to hunt the property. The land owner had a bad alcohol and drug problem and with that came a badly run down farm house and property. Even though I did what I could he always expected more and therefore finally decided while he was extremely drunk not to allow me back. After trying everything I could to get back on the property I began a search for new property without any luck so far. I have talked to many people and searched leasing web sites without any luck. Anyone have any sugestions on how to obtain another piece of land at this point I'm willing to do anything.
    I have a 9 year old daughter that hunted for the first time last fall after a couple of seasons of observing and on her first trip out harvested a nice Doe. This experience meant more than any Buck I have ever shot and now I'm afraid of not having the oppertunity to experience it again with her or my younger daughter who is just dying to give it a shot. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.:banghead3 :banghead3 :banghead3 :banghead3

2. try running some newspaper adds in smll ton papers. then go door to door.

3. I don't know how many times I have spent weekends knocking on doors. Hell, there were many times that I hunted just a thinly covered fence row until I got my foot in the door with the landowner.

If they say no, just say thank you for your time, sorry to bother you, and have a good weekend. You would be surprised how many times I had someone turn me down, only to let me hunt their land the following year.

4. Be Sure To Put In For The State Property Hunts, And Keep Knocking On Doors Also Take Your Daughter With You Alot Of Times Property Owners Will Let You Take The Kids Hunting Even If You Cant But That Will Get Your Foot In The Door Also Offer To Do Some Work Around Their Place For The Privelege To Hunt Their Property, Good Luck

5. TRY BRIBING THE FARMER AGAIN WITH A CASE OF WHISKEY...JUST KIDDING, IF YOU WERE THE ONLY ONE DOING WORK AROUND HS PROPERTY, HE MAY HAVE A CHANGE OF HEART. CASH TALKS, HE MIGHT CHANGE HIS MIND IF HE SAW GREENBACKS. HOPEFULLY YOU DID NOT BURN THE BRIDGE.

ADDITIONALLY, I WOULD START AS SUGGESTED BY THOSE ABOVE, KNOCK DOORS, LOOK FOR A LEASE, APPLY FOR STATE PROPERTY HUNTS, USE THE HOOSIER NATIONAL FORREST. KEEP THE FAITH, KEEP MOVING FORWARD.

6. It's getting tougher all the time to find and keep a place to hunt. I am looking and asking all the time. Buck one of these day you will be surprised someone you will be just talking to will say YES you are welcome to hunt. Don't give up keep trying and yes when you here the word NO just smile and say thank you. Check around and see if someone needs help like repairing or building fence or a barn or help bale hay and trade for a little hunting.

7. Thanks guys but unfortunitly I have tried pretty much all of these except the ads in the paper and all with no leads. And as for bribing the previous land owner with liquor,been there and done that, and look were I'm at. You guys would not believe the things I put up with over the years just to hunt. This might have happened for the best as this guy is someone that I would usually keep my daughter as far away from as possible. I will keep my head up and keep trying even though things are looking dim.

8. buy the property

if he has drug and alcohol problems, he may have unpaid back taxes, check it out, keep an eye on that, try to purchase the property. Or try leasing land. The days of hunting for free are almost gone.

9. buck stuffer might be on to something there. Ill bet you could probably get something for a decent price if he is defaulting on farm loans. YOu might be on to something therem, I know you might think well chit I cant afford that. I know thats how my dad thinks, but land and acreage are not losing value. They arent going to lose their value. Consider it an investment into your daughters future. She might be sitting on a gold mine i n a few years. Youd be surprised... look into it.

10. Beleive Me I Thought About The Tax Situation But The Person Leasing The Farming Rights Does So By Paying The Taxes Every Year Instead Of Giving The Landowner The Money Directly. Plus He Has A Sister That Although She Doesn't Want Anything To Do With Him She Makes Sure The Property Is Taken Care Of Financially. In The 19 Years I've Hunted There I Only Met Her Twice And Have Not Been Able To Track Her Down Since Losing Rights.

11. What Has worked for me everytime is running adds in the newspapers of the area ,That I want to hunt.

I have switch at least 4 times in the past 12 years and had no problem finding leases.