close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A question and the DNR's answer

Discussion in 'Indiana Outdoor News' started by ccavacini, Feb 23, 2006.

1. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

[size=+0]Here's the question I posed on line to the DNR:[/size]
    [size=+0][/size]
    [size=+0]Subject: Upland season
    Has Indiana ever given any consideration to closing upland hunting (as
    they do in Michigan) during our two week deer gun season, and then
    bringing it back for two weeks later in the season?

Last year that would have meant closing the season from Nov. 12-Nov.
    27.....then extending the season to Jan. 1 ...instead of Dec. 18.

This would eliminate some of the conflicts between deer hunters and
    bird hunters, especially those competing over the same land. (and yes,
    conflicts do exist.)

Here's the response:

Dear Mr. Cavacini:

[size=+0]Your email regarding the upland game season was forwarded to me for response. [/size][size=+0]Everyone would like to have their own separate season when no one else is allowed to hunt, but there just isn't enough time to a work all the hunting seasons in without overlap.[/size]
    [size=+0][/size]
    [size=+0]Our first responsibility is to establish hunting season parameters (season length, bag limits, shooting hours, etc.) that are commensurate with maintaining population goals (i.e., are we wanting the population to increase, remain stable, decrease), while maximizing hunting opportunities for the those species. In regards to our upland game seasons, we want to maintain or increase populations while trying to maximize hunting opportunity. However with upland game (especially pheasants, quail, and ruffed grouse), there is a fine line between compensatory mortality (early season hunting) and additive mortality (late season hunting). Upland game seasons that extend later into the winter months result in increases in additive mortality, reducing the breeding population the following spring. Based on our upland game population trends, we do not believe that extending these seasons a couple of more weeks into the winter would be a wise decision at this time.[/size]
    [size=+0][/size]Gary Langell
    Private Lands Program Manager
    IDNR, Division of Fish and Wildlife
    553 E. Miller Drive
    Bloomington, IN 47401
    TX:(812) 334-1137
    FAX: (812) 339-4807
    Mobile (812) 276-8051
    TWS Certified Wildlife Biologist

[/size]

2. Looks to me like he wants to limit opportunity of bird/deer hunters to keep the bird mortality rates down...I don't know if I would be satisfied with that response.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2006

3. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

I agree with you...it's not the answer I had hoped to get...I just wanted to keep deer hunters and bird hunters from competing for the same property.

4. Bird hunters ruined a long stalk i had on a giant racked buck,i used 6 rows of corn left in the middle of a field to get toward 2 bucks standing 30 yards off the end of it,crawled 40 yards of the distance in the mud,only to notice the deer had ran and 200 yards at a woodlot bird hunters with dogs had poped out.:banghead3 :gaga: :bash:

5. O.K. for Michigan???

INteresting, those Michigan birds must be tougher????? What's the difference between killing a cockbird in Nov. or late December??? He's still not going to be there to breed. Which leads me to this next question...When do Pheasants, in particular, breed??? Gestation?? I'm not a bird man, but thought this was kinda dumb....although I'm not even an amatuer bird biologist.......

6. Where is the analysis of how the compensatory mortality will drop? What about the effects of the hunting season corresponding with the holidays and the weather that is likely to be colder and snowier?

In it's mission statement, the IDNR's stated goal is to "professionally manage Indiana's fish and wildlife for present and future generations, balancing ecological, recreational, and economic benefits. Furthermore,the F&W Overview tells us that "Staff relies heavily on citizen input to design and apply professional wildlife practices to both public and private lands to improve habitat, promote wildlife management, and increase recreational opportunities." Although not expressly stated, I would also venture to guess that the Division of Law Enforcement would place some value on reducing their conflict resolution workload.

South Dakota allows hunting through the end of the year in most units. Michigan has the split season. Clearly, there is data out there that suggests that this suggestion has merit. The educated hunting public deserves a complete, cross divisional analysis and response to inquiries such as this one.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2006
  7. Cary - I would support your idea. Unfortunately I've had an uphill fight with DNR with any kind of late season upland bird hunting (grouse or pheasant) because of the additive mortality question. I guess until we get bird populations back where they are crawling around Gary Langell's desk we won't get any good answers.

Jack

8. Birds galore!!

I was wondering about that Jack. So, it's because we don't have the numbers that other states have??? I know Michigan has a lot of Grouse, but do they have more Pheasants than we do??? Could you explain to me when the Pheasant breeding season is?? And gestation length??? Thank you!!!

9. Indy, very well said.