close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

After the Kill

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by treehugger, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Sometimes when we shoot a whitetail it doesn't fall in it's tracks and goes off and dies in some of the worst places...like very deep ravines a long way from any way to get a motorized vehicle of any type back to it. Is it legal to field dress and quarter a whitetail deer in Indiana before checking it in?

2. TREE, I HAD POSED THIS QUESTION TO A C.O. AT THE BOAT, SPORT AND TRAVEL SHOW A COUPLE YEARS AGO. HE SAID IT WAS ILLEGAL. I QUESTIONED HIM WHY, AS LONG AS THE GENERAL INTEGRITY WAS INTACT( ABILITY TO JUDGE SEX), THE C.O. DID NOT WANT TO ARGUE THE POINT, HE JUST SAID NO. MAYBE ONE OF OUR C.O.`S MIGHT BE ABLE TO SHED MORE LIGHT ON THE SUBJECT.WHAT SAY YOU GUYS....

3. oldbuckkiller

oldbuckkiller Banned

that is a good question you ask treehugger. out west you can quarter your trophy as long as the tag is on it's antler. i just don't see why we couldn't do that for a deer here for the thing your asking.

4. tree, this is just my thought NO due do you must tag and check in the deer. It will ask Mike our DNR officer.

5. My friend and I recieved 2 warning tickets for removing the heads off the 2 deer we found locked in the pond before calling them. The warnings were for illegal possesion of deer. There was no way to get them up and out of the pond without seperating them and we could not seperate them without removing at least 1 head. After we left was when I decided we should try to get some tags for them so we could take them to a taxidermist. After I called the CO and told him our story, he was very stern about meeting us at the site the next morning. He brought 2 others with him and proceeded to tear us new bums the next morning for not calling them first. In all the excitement of finding them it slipped my mind. But we did get to keep the racks and he issued us tags along with our written warnings. The warnings, tags, and the newspaper story is on a plaque below my mount.:evilsmile

6. you can dress them, can't ya? just don't quarter 'em

7. I once shot a Colorado Muley, that ran into a bad area. My Hunting buddies and I had to drag it out to the truck as in Colorado your Deer must be whole to determine sex of the deer. Same in Ky when one of our hunting buddies shot a large Doe and it fell into a ravine and we had to "Wench" it out.

8. ....but I'm guessing in Illinois, which has a call in check in system, once you call it in from the field you can do as you wish. How long do you think it will be before Indiana has call in check in?

9. Rowdy

Rowdy

treehugger, I hope we never get that "telecheck" system, it will knock us out of going to the local check stations to eat lunch and see all the deer. I wouldnt trade the memories and expierences I have had at local check stations on opening morning for an automated telephone voice.

10. no tree it's not legal. it can't be dismembered in any way except to dispose of the intriels.

11. Nothing In The Book

I JUST REVIEWED THE HUNTING AND TRAPPING GUIDE ON THIS SUBJECT. NOWHERE DOES IT SPECIFICALLY STATE THAT THE DEER CARCASS MUST REMAIN INTACT. ALL THAT IS SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED IS THAT YOUR TAG MUST IMMEDIATELY BE NOTCHED, YOU MUST REMAIN IN VISUAL CONTACT WITH CARCASS, MUST TAG DEER CARCASS BEFORE LOADING INT VEHICLE, MUST CHECK IN WITH IN 48 HOURS.

AS MANY OF THE AREAS I HUNT ARE STEEPLY RAVINED, I HAVE PERSONALLY AVOIDED HUNTING CERTAIN AREAS FOR FEAR OF HAVING TO DRAG A DEER OUT. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A C.O.`S OPINION ON THIS. ARE ANY OF YOU C.O.`S OUT THERE?

12. Do you have to have your tag on you at all times? I leave mine at camp when i got to the woods. Is that kosher? Say I shoot a deer and it dies within sight and I dont have my tag because its at camp in a safe place, did i break the law by going back to the tent and getting the tag and coming back?? Just curious, it seems that the only thing I would be concerned is tagging it before it is loaded in the truck. Thats who I would expect a CO to see things but i guess you cant predict human nature.

13. last year all you had to do was write your name address date and time of kill and sex on paper then take it to a check station and get a perminent tag. same this year with turkey.

14. Good question trdtnl...I think you would be in violation. If approached by a CO while you were up a tree with your bow during season and he asked to see your tag and you couldn't present it I would say you are in violation unless you said you were up a tree hunting coyotes or squirrels with your bow and presented a hunting license. But is the tag only for tagging your deer since a hunting license isn't required to deer hunt?

15. i just called the dnr hotline for the questioning of qtring up a deer and taking it out. the deer has to be fully intact except for gutting until it recieves a perminent check station tag. upon dragging out the deer your name and date of kill and sex and county have to be attached to the deer while leaving the woods and has to be checked within in 48 hrs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2006