close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ag Secretary Announces No New CRP General Signups for 2 Years

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by ccavacini, Feb 19, 2007.

1. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Any farmers out there who want to respond? As a bird hunter this is scary stuff to me.

Washington, D.C., - February 15, 2007 - Last week, U.S. Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns announced his agency, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), would offer no new Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) general signups in 2007 and 2008. Though the USDA's 2008 fiscal budget calls for $2 billion to be spent on the CRP program; that money would go only to existing contracts. Nationwide, CRP enrollment will drop by at least 3 million acres this year, to approximately 34 million acres by 2008, as a result of this announcement. In addition, USDA officials are considering offering "early outs" from existing CRP contracts. If "early outs" come into play, then the 3 million acre estimate could be a dramatically low prediction.

Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever find this recent development unacceptable and in direct contrast to President Bush's directive for a fully enrolled CRP. This announcement is also shortsighted when considering CRP's legacy of benefits for our soil, water, air, and wildlife resources. It's no secret that the CRP program has been the most successful conservation program in U.S. history, helping increase not only pheasant populations but populations of quail, ducks, grouse, prairie chickens and other wildlife. Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever recognize there are a variety of forces with opposing interests at play. However, the quality of our water and natural resources should not be up for debate. Selling the country short on conservation of our natural resources is simply not the answer.

2. What few phesants there are will surely be gone now.

3. Glad we signed up last year..............just made it in it appears

4. My dad works for the USDA Soil and Water Conservation District of Kosciusko County so I asked him about this. He said he thinks it was a bad decision, but they did this because of high corn prices. They didn't want to take any more land out of production due to CRP.

5. The hippies ruin it for us again...they sell the american public on ethanol...which isn't anywhere close to the magic bullet they try to make it...force corn prices up...farm subsidie programs will get cut...ethanol will pass...farmers go broke...we have to import food...and we still don't have good hunting ground...i hate hippies...

6. Welcome to the world of $4.00 corn. I spoke about this 2-3 weeks ago when I found out about it.

Just pray todays farmers are smarter than in the 70's when erodible ground was farmed without waterways, riparian buffers, or those vital connecting fencerows that link quail habitat together. On the other side what is better, farming the erodible ground or seeing it split into housing editions? $4.00 corn help keeps the developer away, but money and personal gain once again come in front of wildlife. Pay attention, many restored wetlands done by the US Fish and Wildlife service were only protected for 10 years.

7. Your post is correct! Ethanol production will take more energy to produce it than what it will yield. Also the sudden interest in Ethanol will negatively affect other sectors of the economy, especially food. I heard a new term the-other-day on the farm news "Food Inflation". Soon we'll be paying $15 per pound of Beef, pork, or Chicken. Also what would happen if we have a drought this summer?? A much better alternative would be for some company to develope an economical engine that uses hydrogen fuel cells. If "They" have the technology to place internet access into cell phones; then they can develope hydrogen fuel cell engines that everyone can afford.