close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

And then it is over.

Discussion in 'Indiana Turkey Hunting' started by DEC, May 14, 2007.

1. Well the 2007 turkey season is officially behind us. It seems like every year it just flies by. We wait all year for it to open up and then before you know it, it is gone. Harvest or not it is always fun, IMO.

I know it was a frustrating season for many. A lack of gobbling in many areas or simply a lack of birds. For others the season was over almost as soon as it started with some success in the early days. Some of us hunted hard and were lucky late in the season. In all, that is turkey hunting. Highs and lows, excitement and frustration. It is what brings many of us back year after year.

For me, spring turkey season is the time that I look forward to more than any other. It is my favorite animal to hunt and the thrill of being back in the woods at day break after a long dark cold winter is what I need to recharge my system.

In a nut shell, I'd like to say CONGRATULATIONS to all of those who successfully harvested a turkey. Congratulations to all of those who did not, but took the season in stride and were simply thrilled to be out there hunting. Congratulations to the first timers who have hopefully taken the first step in what will become a long time obsession chasing these birds. Congratulations to those that have gone birdless for multiple seasons, yet still hit the woods with the hopes and dreams of a gobbler at the end of their barrel.

Looking forward to the stories and pictures in 2008.:coolgleam

2. Come on Oct...
    Turkey season was a blast!!! I'm hooked for life...
    but Oct. brings my true love
    Bow hunting whitetails

counting down the days...

3. 140 days jones...

Perhaps there will be more success at that...argh blah

4. WITH THE END OF TURKEY SEASON, WE HUNTERS ARE NOW FACED WITH SEVERAL MONTHS OF DOWN TIME. OCTOBER CAN NOT GET HERE SOON ENOUGH, BUT THE NEXT FIVE MONTHS WILL GIVE US TIME TO PREPARE OUR FOOD PLOTS, SCOUT NEW AREAS, COMPLETE SOME HOME IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS AND MOST IMPORTANT, SPEND SOME QUALITY TIME WITH OUR FAMALIES THAT SEEMS TO GET NEGLECTED DURING DEER SEASON.

5. 4 years...no bird...but who's counting. I had more close encounters this year than ever before. I had birds responding to my calling and hen's coming into the decoy setup. Best of all I got to spend time in the hunting blind with my daughter on her first ever gobbler hunt and we were blessed with a magnificiant show by the Tom's. My wife and I got to go out and hunt one day and that was cool too. I know it'll happen some season if I hang with it long enough. I learned this year "the show" is what makes the hunt. Congrats to all the hunters that were successful this year...WAY TO GO!!!

6. As important as mothers day is and as influential as she has been in my hunting career, I kept thinking to how it was the last day and I had a good friend that hadnt killed a bird yet. I am his call guy and this is the first year he has hunted for them. Saturday morning I had one gobbling at us from 50 yards behind us for 20 minutes he just wouldnt commit to the opening. Then a hen came in and it was over with. He is hooked now, and I felt bad we couldnt get after them yesterday because I was out of town. My mom understood when i left their house a couple hours early to get him into the woods one last time. We didnt get any response from a tom, saw a hen a long ways off, and enjoyed the final sunset on a great season. Looking forward to getting him his first tom next year and a great trip to Kentucky again.

Now bring on Deer Season. He still needs to get his first deer with a bow, and I cant think of a better time to try my hand at filming a hunt. Looking forward to meeting some more of you guys from here at some different bow shoots over the summer months. DEW its your turn to organize a shoot. Congrats to all that got to feel the weight of a turkey on their backs and walk in the dew covered grass as the sun came up over the trees on a great spring morning.

7. congrats to everyone who got a bird this year. and a special congrats to the ones who got to introduce someone to turkey hunting for the 1st. time. that's special. and to the one's who got hooked for life for the 1st time out a special congragulations to you because you now know there's nothing like a thunderous gobble to bring in the day enjoying god's handy work.

8. It ain't over till it's over!!!

Come on Fall Turkey season!!!

A gobbler will still go down by me, oh yes it will!!!

9. Bring on those NASTY BIG BUCKS...........these large brown chickens just don't leave me satisfied. :evil:

10. turkey is my favorite to hunt, just way to short of a season. when do you think indiana will allow 2 toms in spring?

11. Can't wait for deer season.:biggrin:

12. well i took friday off and so did dad we set up on a field close to were we heard gobbling the day before, at 6:10 we heard the first gobble I don't know if there were more than one bird or not but for the next hour and 15 min we heard over 100 gobbles, but none would come out in the field, another frustrating day so i went out sat and set up where i thought he might be in the woods not 1 gobble so being frustrated I decided to get up about nine and check the field to my suprise I saw one strutting about 200 yds off so come sunday i was down were i last saw one in the field, I saw 2 jake 3 hens and about 10:30 the big boy finally came out he was at least 100 yds from me and my decs he spotted a hen crossing the field to a little patch of woods and he went straight to it. I never would of thought that little patch of woods would attract so many turkey, I'll be back, this was my dads first turkey season, I got him hooked....

13. Well at least you tryed!
    I was so frustrated i almost did not go out this year.
    But it worked out ..... Finally! :)

14. deer tactics for gobblers

to many close calls for me to cope with. toms with hens, deer spooking everything (revenge this fall), coon trying to clime in my lap (new trapping sights) yes it was a frustrating season until i applied roosting areas and were they go to strut and feed .I set up in their path and good things happened 3 yr old tom 10 in beard 1.5 in spur ran right to me his two brothers stood shocked as he flopped around after 3 in. hevi 4's ended his day :tongue: 6 months to deer season. enough of the crap of fewer deer (not in my woods) shorter seasons, and bow hunters thinking arrows give special priveages follw the rules let the experts decide what we must do and enjoy the long hot summer see you in the fall bye now D.B.