close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Antique Airex Reel

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by goggleye57, Dec 27, 2006.

1. I was going through a box of old fishing gear my mom gave me after my dad died. This reel was in the box Bache Brown Mastereel - Airex corporation- Division of the Lionel corporation. Anyone know anything about it?
    [​IMG]

2. Googleye,

I found this, pretty cool, hope it helps.

Airex

In 1947 Airex was the first U.S. Company to delve into the manufacture of the “new” fixed spool, or spinning, reels. The initial force behind spinning reels in the U.S. was famous sportsman Bache Brown, who had been importing fixed spool reels from Europe in the 1930s. The first spinning reel manufactured in this country was an American version of the French Luxor, which evolved into the Bache Brown Mastereel in 1947.

In the late 1940s, Airex was purchased by the famous toy train manufacturer, the Lionel Corporation, of Long Island City, NY, and they were soon the major manufacturer of spinning reels in the U.S. As competition became more intense in the U.S. sales of Airex reels declined. In 1964 the company was sold to Fuerer Bros. Of White Plains, NY.

Some of the more noteworthy Airex spinning reels were Bache Brown Mastereel. Initial Airex offering in 1947 (then called Luxor), it was the first American made spinning reel.

-RR

3. Cool information - thanks a bunch!

4. seabee

seabee Staff Member Super Mod Mod

check this one out, i have a bad habbit of buying OLD hunting and fishing junk at yardsales, i found this old flyreel attached to a 7 ft bamboo rod, it has no markings so i dont know date or manufacture. Think i paid 20 bucks at a yardsale in parke county. [​IMG]

Here is another pic, very small, dont know why i collect this stuff just gives me something to do, i have found a couple very old no hunting signs lately, pick them up for a couple bucks a piece. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2006
  5. Cool Primitive- don't know anything about it but it would be neat to hang on the wall :)

6. Goggleye, I'll check with my grandpa - I know he has a couple of the exact same reels. He's pretty knowledgable when it comes rods, reels, etc....