close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any good places to hunt turkey

Discussion in 'Indiana Turkey Hunting' started by indianadeerhunter, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Anyone have any good suggestions on places to hunt turkey?

2. in the woods:evil: i couldn't resist...the hoosier national forrest here in southern indiana holds good numbers...and if you find the right spot fairly low hunting pressure.

3. If you are willing to drive.........

Not a better State ground and under utilized than Splinter Ridge in Jefferson and Switzerland counties. Most people will not hunt it because all but one of six parking areas are in valleys and you must walk uphill to hunt. A steep 15 minutess to get on top so you can run and gun turkey's!

the first five days are draw hunts(apply NOW) if you want to get chosen for one of two hunts(2 day and 3 day). after that the next 12 days are open to first come first serve and not many people go there as I stated. You can call Crosley F&W area and they can give you daily numbers of hunters last year who used it to turkey hunt.

You must sign in at the check station on Splinter Ridge each day.

4. IF YOU SPEND A COUPLE TO THREE DAYS IN THE H.N.F. OR DESIGNATED STATE FORRESTS, YOU SHOULD EVENTUALLY RUN ACROSS ONE. NOW CALLING HIM WITHIN RANGE IS ANOTHER THING ALLTOGETHER. THE ONE GOOD THING ABOUT TURKEYS.... THEY WILL TELL YOU WHERE THEY ARE.

5. What's a turkey? Do we have those in Indiana?

Not sure I've ever seen one.:evilsmile

6. Thanks for the info everyone. Was going to apply for mississinewa but would like to find a different place. Thanks

7. DEC if you still have to drive past our old ground on Orland Rd..... i doubt you have never seen a turkey :)

8. Sure DEC they are all up there in the North. We ran out a few years ago down here. :evil:

9. I swear there are no turkeys up here!:evilsmile

No need to come to Steuben Co., I hear they are all over the counties like Allen and Marion.:evil:

OK OK ... I've seen a couple turkeys in my day.;)

10. I saw some there just the other day as a matter of fact. That is a primo farm to turkey hunt. Heck that whole area is like one big game preserve. Animals all over the place.

11. coordinates DEC ....coordinates please!:biggrin:

12. I don't think Noble hunts the ground anymore, so heck ... I'll send you an aerial and a map.:evil: I'm sure he can give you the low down on the ground. I seem to recall a problem with 4 wheelers ripping around during season or something along those lines.:banghead3

I think you've probably got a good spot Bill. Your relatives ground should be in prime turkey country.:coolgleam

13. Back to the original poster ... what are you looking for as far as ground?

A lot of the public ground both south and north has birds. I'm not sure about your local area, but I'm sure there are birds there somewhere. Go knocking on doors. The thing about turkey hunting in Indiana, is it isn't like what you see on the TV shows. We don't have the great expanses that you can walk all day on and chase birds. Most of us have small farms to hunt that either have birds or they don't on any particular day. You hunt it one morning and if there are no birds there, you don't hunt it too long, just come back the next day and check it again. Turkeys get mobile and often rotate through their stomping grounds on a 3 or 4 day cycle it seems. At least that is my experience.

14. oldrookie if you could get on that ground up there buddy.. game over. I gonna try again this year but the neighbor kid threw a huge fit cuz he wanted to start turkey hunting and he was just terrorizing our hunts until we quit. Then told the landowner it was us tearing up his fields with 4 wheelers (neither of us have 4 wheelers)! hmmmm.. I can tell ya what 2 trees to sit by even :)