close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any Shed Hunters?

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by backstrap, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Just wondering how many of you out there in the Hoosier State shed hunt. I live in the South-West corner of Ohio and do some serious sheddin', in about a 4-county area. My buddy and I have found quite a few so far this year. Would love to hear some other success stories.

2. Hey backstrap,

I've looked for years to find sheds on the property I hunt. Never had any luck.
    How about some tips and pointers on where, how, when etc.....

Thanks
    Wanatah

3. I generally start looking around Christmas time all the way till green-up, (or the start of turkey season). The majority of the drops will generally take place around mid-Feb. through March.

There are a couple of techniques I use depending on the type of terrain. On flat farm country I like to concentrate on areas that tend to funnel deer movement. Such as a strip of trees that seperate two fields. Fence lines and crossings (where a deer trail crosses a fence line), are excellent places to look. Creek beds and creek crossings are also great places to search. The edges along a field are a good place to look, try and key on the North sides of fields, this is the place where the field recieves the most sunlight, and usually will hold a couple of beds, especially if the weather has been cold, or if there has been a lot of snowfall. I also carry a good pair of binoculars to search fields. I can scan the field and save a lot of leg work.

In hilly terrain I tend to concentrate on south facing slopes. These areas again recieve the most sunlight and therefore tend to be a little warmer. Usually holding a few beds. Once again creek crossings, or bottlenecks are key places. Ridge tops are extremely good places to search. Also areas where there are interior edges, like where hardwoods meet pines, or thickets. Another technique that works well for me both in flat and hilly land is simply to follow deer trails. Sounds simple but it always produces for me at least a couple times a year. One other thing is thickets don't ever count those out, the nastier the better. You might lose some skin, but you also might find a bruiser! A lot of people say search feeding areas as well as bedding areas. To be truthful I've only found a handful in bedding areas over the years. And feeding areas tend to be scattered, because of the limited areas of food. If you do find a food source, no matter what it is key on it! It will produce. Probably the best advice I can give ya is just WALK!! Walk as much as you can for ever how long it is. If you only have a hour then walk it, you just never know. And keep at it! You won't be successful every time, but when you do it will be well worth it. I hope I was of some help for you. And good luck to you, and keep me posted. Happy "Horn" Huntin"

--backstrap--

4. Wanatah,

I almost forgot, if you have anymore questions I'll be more than happy to answer them for ya!! I'm no expert, but I'll help ya all I can.

backstrap

5. Thanks for all the good advice.

Wanatah

6. I agree with everything backstrap had to say. Let me add this bit of advise... If you have a good dog that won't stray too far away from you in the woods, take it. They'll find a shed faster than anything.