close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone ever hear of this ?

Discussion in 'Indiana Turkey Hunting' started by dleslie217, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Yesterday, my wife asked me if turkeys eat meat. She said there was a turkey eating on a deer carcus down the road from us yesterday. I told her it must have been a buzzard, she said no, that she knows the difference between a buzzard and a turkey. I'm going to go out a limb here and give her the benefit of a doubt on that. We live in the country and I think she has seen enough turkey and buzzards to know the difference. She said that as she slowed down to get a good look, the bird ran into the woods, it did not fly away, as I think a buzzard would have done. I know that turkeys eat bugs and small invertebrates, but I've never heard of anything like this. Has anyone else ??

2. Perhaps it was eating gravel and not the carcass?

3. i've never seen it but if the deer was decayed enough maggots could have been present because it's been warm enough here the last few days flys have been active. a possibility.

4. Ever seen this?

DLeslie

I don't think the buzzards have come back north yet. I suspect a turkey is about like any other wild animal. If a meal presents itself, and the conditions are just right they might eat a little meat. I have never seen this, but I did see a deer lick the blood from a gut pile I left behind. So I suspect anything is possible.

5. I was thinking the same things and I just got back from checking the deer out.
    Thought I might find some signs of a turkey such as droppings or tracks. Its laying in grass and I didn't see any of either. It's fairly fresh roadkill and I don't think there has been enough time for magots to hatch out. There are turkeys in that area but I've never seen or heard of anything like this. I wish I could hang a tree cam and try to get some pictures but I would probably get nothing but a bunch of passing vehicles. Thanks for your input, Doug

6. I've seen quite a few buzzards/vultures, I don't really know the difference or if one stays north and the other migrates south for the winter. I call them all buzzards. I know that I have seen chickens fight to pick the meat off a left over chicken bone, maybe turkeys do like a little venison once in a while.

7. I did see some buzzards a few days ago in the area...and we live in the same area Doug...I don't think I've ever seen a buzzard run away from anything, they usually fly off. Does sound more like a turkey but never heard of them eating meat.

Now...if it was last night she saw this it may have been the buzzards picking the bones of what was left of a Boilermaker after IU put the smack down on them...don't know for sure, just a thought!

8. Maybe it was eating some undigested grain in the deers stomach????

9. Man-eating Turkeys!!!

I've seen squirrels eating locust carcasses and nibbling on the remains of a tree frog (that was apparently hammered by a coon), and I also remember seeing long ago a deer eating dead minnows along the shore of one of the great lakes. If it really was a turkey, I'd say the booger was just hungry enough to eat some meat. I'd say one of the above responses about eating the stomach contents, etc. would be more likely.

If not.....then all you turkey hunters might want to consider upping your firepower to a 10 guage, or more. I can see it now....."Turkey hunter attacked by flock of Wild Turkeys....these birds reportedly had fangs, and authorities found human limbs in the stomach of a dead one, that the hunter managed to kill prior to succumbing"......

10. Ever see this?

Weimer, you are stark raving nuts.

11. Thanks for your vote DaWG...we've been keeping score...so far it's 100% on that!!! :bash:

12. FireLt72

FireLt72 Staff Member Mod

I saw a vulture today abd thought at a distance it might be a turkey, but it wasn't. Now as far as a turkey eating dead meat....I did some research and found these for three different sights. It says that they eat:

So it seems that they will eat whatever it needs, hmmm.
    I hope they don't attack me like they did that poor hunter above.:SHOCKED: