close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone near Liberty?

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by birdhunt1, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Headed down to Liberty area next weekend with the dog to join a friend. Just wondering in general if anyone has been having any luck in the area. By the way, late season Michigan pheasants are fun! Had a great year on woodcock and also a few partridge.

2. Sounds like you did great, I haven't heard anyone have a good year on timberdoodles except in books. I've seen a grand total of 2 in as many years, but keep hoping they make a come back.
    Did you hunt the woodcock with a dog? I've known a few older guys speak very highly of dogs that worked well on woodcock.

3. i've never hunted timberdoodle's but have jumped a bunch from time to time. they are the neatest birds. last yr. there was one in the road doing a courtship dance and i had to stop the truck and wait till he passed to the other side. it's like he was in a trance or somethin. neatest thing i've seen in a long while.

4. Saw quite a few migrating 'doodles this season. One day there were several in the middle of a CRP field. They could have saved some energy and time... there's worms all over my driveway this morning.

5. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

If you coming south, I assume you're hunting quail. Good luck and let us know how you did.

6. Yep, going after quail. I live about an hour north of Grand Raids, Mi and a little to the east. Woodcock numbers were a lot better this year than last, mostly getting out after flight birds right ahead of a cold front.
    Also did very well around the Baldwin area for woodcock. Yes, I have a GSP, 3 1/2 yr old who really came into his own this year. He's got the woodcock down cold, figured out how to pin a pheasant, but with the lack of partridge this year is slowly getting the edge.

7. A MI guy coming down to IN to hunt birds. Go figure.

8. Have to come down. Our wild bird season is closed, I don't have quail close by, and the damn voters shut down our dove season! Actually I usually make a trip in the spring/summer and one in the fall to see my old Army buddy. The hunting and fishing are just gravy!

9. Still waiting for that report on how you did bh1. You're welcome to participate in our dove season, I only hunt them via walkup so you can have my pass shooting share. I wouldn't hit them anyways.

10. Can't beat the weather

Sad to say there will not be a hunting report. Friend in Liberty says it's supposed to rain Fri-Sun and to not head down. Looks like it's going to be just scratch birds at the local preserve until the fall. Will be making a spring turkey trip, then the dove opener when I hope to bring my girls.

11. Yeah, rain I guess... We got water laying all over and flood warnings on the news. Gawd, what a miserable excuse for a winter.