close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

At what age should kids go hunting?

Discussion in 'Indiana Turkey Hunting' started by FireLt72, Feb 12, 2006.

1. FireLt72

FireLt72 Staff Member Mod

I had this discussion yesterday with my DW and she thinks that 10 is too young to take my DD hunting turkey this year. Any thoughts and at what aged did your youngsters start?

2. I would think that 10 would be a great age to take your son,daughter turkey hunting. my first is only 1 1/2 yrs old and if he's ready by the time he's 10 I'll definetly take him.

3. FireLt72

I am not the momgottaseeeverythingworstecasescenerio, but I agree with you. :banghead3

4. My oldest daughter, now 8, went out with me deer hunting when she was 7 just to observe. We sat in a blind. Before she turned 8 she took the Hunter Ed class and got certified. For her 8th birthday I bought her a Rossi 410/22 combo. She squirrel hunted a little last fall and went deer hunting with me a few times during firearms season, carrying her own 410, and went with me on some archery hunts as an observer. We will be hunting together from a buddy ladder stand in the 2006 firearms season and she will also hunt the early anterless youth hunt in September. She will hunt with me some this spring during turkey season. My wife also likes to turkey hunt now after going with me last year. I have a 6 year old daughter that wants to archery hunt when she gets a little older...she already likes to shoot a bow...she's a lefty. She's not really into the noise of guns yet. Get 'em started early and make it fun for them......if it's not fun they won't stay interested in it long. We had my oldest daughter's first fish mounted too...a small crappie...they love that kinda' stuff!!!!!

Here's a pic of my little hunter.....
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2006
  5. FireLt72

Thats my idea get her hooked, but I have a litle problem with a worry wart mamma at home. Now I can pull the woman she is going and my daughter will get to go, but it is much nicer when we agree lol.:bash:

6. Way Cool ! get those kids involved !:)

7. Kids are the future...

Hey Tree, I think it is awesome that you're getting the family involved. Neat to see a youngster out there...please tell me that you haven't turned her into an IU fan though???????:cool:

8. Thanks Dean...No, she says she's gonna' play for the ISU Lady Sycamores...she loves both hunting and B-Ball...I'm a blessed Dad!!!

9. My girls both started going out with me at the age of 8. At that time it was picking nice semi-warm days to take them out as observers. Oldest daughter shot her first squirrel at the age of 9. Took both girls out at the same time to sit in the blind with me this year. And butchering is a family affair, kids and wife all help pack the meat for the freezer. Many hands makes the work go fast.

10. Took my son this year as an observer. Deer hunting isn't the same without him. All the chip bags rumbling and crunching. Turkey hunting takes a lot of patience and having her out there maynot yeild many, if any birds my boy likes squirel hunting he can move around more and he like to walk the field when we phesant hunt he only walks when we do that. I am a little afraid of him swinging that .410 into my face.

11. FireLt72

Well my idea this year is going to be getting my dd and ds out there in a state park, and only call one in. After I prove that death and destruction didn't happen I have a chance next season, if you know what I mean. I also want to get them both into hunter safety soon.