close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Atv`s And Firearms

Discussion in 'Questions about Indiana Hunting/Fishing Laws' started by BRICH60, Dec 5, 2006.

1. I NEED CLARIFICATION ON THE GUN ON AN ATV QUESTION? CAN YOU RIDE TO A HUNT LOCATION WITH A LOADED/ UNLOADED GUN, OR DOES THE GUN HAVE TO BE ENCASED AND UNLOADED WHILE ON THE ATV? I`VE HEARD CONFLICTING OPINIONS OF THE LAW, ANY CLAIRIFICATION WILL HELP.

I CHECKED THE REG BOOK- IT SAYS IT IS ILLEGAL TO RIDE WITH A LOADED FIREARM UNLESS YOU HAVE A CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT( WHICH I DO). I DO NOT SEE WHAT A CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT HAS TO DO WITH A HUNTING LONG GUN.

I WILL SOMETIMES, BECAUSE OF DISTANCE, RIDE MY ATV TO NEAR THE AREA THAT I PLAN TO HUNT, I KNOW IT IS ILLEGAL TO "HUNT" FROM AN ATV. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

2. I called the DNR about this and asked them the question. They said that on page 9 of the Indiana ATV regulations book it states that you may NOT ride an ATV with a loaded firearm. It also states that not only does the firearm need to be unloaded, but it must me incased in a case or have a keyed trigger lock in place. I hope this helps you.

3. PAGE 5 IS WHAT I HAD READ, UNDER THE TOPIC" HUNTING FROM A VEHICLE OR BOAT ". THE VERBAGE IS AMBIGOUS AT BEST, IT READS-

IT IS ILLEGAL TO RIDE AN OFF ROAD VEHICLE WITH A LOADED FIREARM( UNLESS PERMITTED WITH A VALID CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT). IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A VALID CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT, THE FIREARM MUST ALSO BE ENCASED OR MADE INOPERATIVE WITH A TRIGGER LOCK.

BY THIS VERBAGE, IF I HAVE A CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT( WHICH I DO) I CAN RIDE WITH A LOADED FIREARM (WHICH I WOULD NOT DO), BUT IT SEEMS PERMISSABLE BY THE WORDS USED.

WHAT WOULD HAVING A CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT HAVE TO DO WITH A HUNTING LONG GUN, AND WHAT`S A TRIGGER LOCK GOING TO DO, IF I HAVE THE KEY IN MY POCKET? IT WOULD TAKE NO TIME TO UNLOCK THE TRIGGER LOCK, IF I WANTED TO.

4. got checked this season i was on my four wheeler had gun in case your atv needs to be registered with dnr sticker on it and registration card in your possesion yes gun must be in a case or locked with trigger lock,,, to sit on it and shoot from it you have to be handicap and the atv must not be moving or running you must have handicap permit also
    i learned from a relative that got sited last season for not registered and gun not in a case
    understand that no part of the gun can be showing outside the case

5. I guess my question to you would be how would you conceal a long hunting gun? A long hunting gun is not considered to be a concealed gun requiring a concealed gun carrying permit and has nothing to do with the concealed gun carrying permit law. However, if you do have a concealed gun carrying permit and are carrying such a gun it can be loaded.

6. good question tree i assume you are talking about a shotgun or m/l
    it has to be cased thats all the law says dnr didn't ask if my shotgun was loaded or not its not concealed if its in a case on the atv its considered cased

7. seabee

seabee Staff Member Super Mod Mod

I knew you had the answer for this one sam, i remeber you telling me you got stoped and i was suprised the quad had to be registerd and gun cased or triger locked

8. so if i have my concealed carry permit i need not have my gun locked away on an atv.. I dont use them but just curious how that might work.

9. Can our conservation officers here help us out?

10. Not if its a Handgun...I think!!!!A concealed weapon is always a Handgun..I dont think you can carry a concealed weapon legally when gun Hunting...Bow hunting yes!!!!

11. your gun has to be in a case on the four wheeler any time you are on it and it is under power conceal and carry has nothing to do with it that is for hand guns on your person or in your auto
    we are talking about atv for hunting purposes

12. You may not carry ANY firearm on an ATV unless that firearm is unloaded and cased or trigger lock affixed regardless if you have a handgun permit.

13. Correction

I looked this up after I posted my response.(Ya I know) Mainly because I thought a response given to the same Q by another Officer on a different site was wrong. Turns out the discovery I made is that my answer is not correct. You may possess a handgun on an ATV if you have been issued "an unlimited handgun license" under Title 35. Title 35 pertains to needing a license (handgun permit) to carry. Sorry for the confusion.

14. gunlaws.us

senate bill 154 amended IC 14-16-1-23 Says that anyone with a valid permit to carry may possess a loaded defensive HANDGUN on an atv or snowmobile. This ammendment would leave all othe firearms unloaded and in a case or with a trigger lock.