close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Atv`s Effect On Deer

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by BRICH60, Sep 5, 2006.

1. GUYS WHAT DO YOU THINK, DOES USING AN ATV TO DRIVE TO YOUR STAND HAVE A DETRIMENTAL AFFECT ON SEEING DEER. I MUST CONFESS, AS I GET OLDER, I FIND IT MUCH EASIER TO HOP ON THE ATV, THAN TO WALK. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE WALKING LONGER DISTANCES AND GOING UPHILL, CARRYING STAND AND WEAPON.

THERE HAVE BEEN TIMES THAT I HAVE DRIVEN WITHIN A FEW YARDS OF THE DEER AND THEY JUST STAND THERE AND LOOK AT YOU. BUT IF YOU STOP TO LOOK, THEY WILL SPOOK. DO THEY GET USED TO THE SOUND, KINDA LIKE A FARMERS TRACTOR, AND ARE NOT NEGATIVELY AFFECTED, AS THEY DO NOT PERCEIVE THE ATV AS A THREAT. I DON`T KNOW THE ANSWERS, LET ME KNOW WHAT YOUR EXPERIENCES ARE AND HOW YOU HUNT WITH YOUR ATV`S.

2. I think if you are hungting an area that has a lot of farm equipment activity they are pretty used to it and it would not bother them too much. However, consider the time of day you are riding the ATV into the area and the smell it leaves on your hunting clothes...I think that would be more detrimental to your hunt than the ATV. I think the ATV's have more of an effect on hunters on stand than they do on deer...when I hear one while I'm hunting I want to :bash: on the guy riding it that comes in and screws with my quiet hunting area.

3. i think as you get older you need an atv for hauling in stands and hauling out deer. but i think a guy that uses it alot in hunting should at least put a exaust enhancer on it. it will further quiten the noise at least 50%. after a day or 2 of season i think a buck will spook off if he's close.

4. I think that it spooks deer. At least mature deer. They know what danger is and they know what rides on those things. They know the smell and they know the sound. I would recommend parking it as far away as possible from the spot you will be hunting and hike the rest of the way in. ATV's are handy and being young still I can say I would rather carry my stuff in to the stand sight rather than jump on the ATV and drive it in. Maybe when Im sore and arthritis has its cold hands on my joints then Ill be driving but for now Ill use the quads that god gave me. Its more peaceful and it doesnt tear up the environment. I think overall its a bad idea to drive them anywhere on the days your going to be hunting especially too and from your stand.

5. I think the big bucks know whats going on. That didn't get big from being stupid. A friend of mine has a Bad Boy Buggy which runs on a battery and man is it quite. That may be the way to go.

6. would you want someone riding into your living room every nite why'll your watching tv

i think deer get tired of it.. have to be alert so they will move on
    have a neighbor who likes to ride around during gun season i won't be as nice this year co will be called because he is carrying gun trying to kill deer from it
    plus i've seen less deer in the area since he began to ride my cross hairs where on the 4 wheeler last season thats how upset it makes hunters that are doing it right
    note make sure you have your atv registered with dnr or you will get cited if you use it for hunting example.. moving stands or just coming out of the woods with your weapon and all weapons need to be in a case with no part of it exposed

7. My Opinion...

Fellas..

I am approaching 62 years of age and I confess the "walk to the stand" seems like it gets LONGER each season.. BUT it is just part of the hunt!! I wish I could ride a ATV back to where I hunt BUT I CANNOT!!

From the road, it looks like a golf course with very few small hills but once you reach the woods.. it makes a HUGE transition into a series of FIVE very steep ridges and ravines. We actually have to negotiate the ridges diagonally and when you harvest a deer.. IT IS A "female dog" to get it out of there. (That is also part of the hunt.)

We could only use an ATV to get from the truck to the corner of the woods. The cover is so thick, it would be extremely difficult to "cut a trail" to the bottom and back up again..

The neighbors on the adjoining property ALL run their trail bikes and ATV across and in the fields and we have seen deer running all over the place reacting to the noise and manner they are operating them. One of the teenagers even offered to haul a deer back to our truck for $25.00. We hauled that deer up and down FIVE ridges and ravines and when we finally got it to the open field, Evil Kneival Jr. wants to make an easy $25.00 hauling it 300 yards to the truck.

Some kids across the creek have opened trails for running their ATV's and trail bikes through the woods and we have actually seen them trying to chase the deer. Even though the deer hear and see farm implements on a reguklar basis, they don't like to see people driving them across the fields and into the woods.

If you can get bye without using one of these, I recommend NOT using them or at least NOT using them with close proximity of you hunting area.

Bud

8. honestly, i don't think it has any effect on the deer. I know guys that ride them and have had deer, big deer, walk right in behind the atv, in the same trail, and I even know of guys who have said the deer acutally have walked up to the atv and sniffed it. we ride around all summer and fall on property and the only thing it seems to do is make trails for deer to walk on. I will agree with the guy who said hearing one during the hunt is bad. that just sucks! i had a guy ride about 20 yards from me while i was turkey hunting last year. really gets the blood boiling, especially since i was on public ground and it's illegal to ride them.

9. And I know guys wearing blue jeans sitting on white, five-gallon buckets that have seen some big deer...I don't think it's a conistently successful practice though.

10. Yip, I've done that. Not very comfortable though.

11. I look at it this way:

It may or may not hurt, but either way it surely isn't going to help. I say that if it doesn't help then don't do it if you can help it.

Now granted I live in the flat country up north so I don't have to hoof it up and down those hills others do, therefore I elect not to buy one. Of course I am led to believe by others that there is a mature buck behind every tree down south..... "all you have to do is hunt them". So maybe we're all on an even playing field anyway.

12. No Scott, please don't go there...it will start another OBR thread! Hey it's been awhile maybe it is time for another OBR thread, I'll start one right after I post a pic of the buck I killed last year...you ever seen it??? :dizzy:

13. I can't see any way possible that riding an ATV to your stand could benefit the hunt. I don't personally own one myself, but my hunting partner does. The only reasons we use it is for putting up stands in August, taking down stands in January, and for pulling deer out of the woods. Last year we did try a new technique though. I'm not sure if anyone else experienced the high winds all season like we did(close to Lake Michigan), but it had deer bedded down almost every day. So we decided to do a drive with the quad. Guess what happened. Deer ran everywhere scared of it coming through the woods. 22 does and one buck. So I conclude, ATV=deer running. No good.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2006
  14. ATV: Animal's Terrified Vehicle. and that's all I got to say about that.

15. i believe using a motorized vehicle in aiding in the process of taking deer is illegal. Im not sure if that translates into using one to push the deer, but I dont think I would do that. Just my opinion.