close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Back from the Great North

Discussion in 'Northeast Indiana Fishing Reports' started by ccavacini, Jun 26, 2005.

1. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Just got back from our yearly fly-in fishing trip to Canada. It's amazing how fishing up there makes you think you're a good fisherman.

Caught tons of Walleye in the 19-22" range. On a good day, we'll catch 100 per boat. Big water (13,000 acres). My largest was 27". Biggest one in our group was 32"

Most were caught drifting using 1/4 oz. jig heads with white twister tails, tipped with either a minnow or night crawler. Did catch some trolling shad raps (with the hook barbs crimped...taken too many hooks out of guys' fingers)

Now, it's back to reality...going out tonight on George and try to find some bass.

2. Good luck! It is amazing how that good fishing will spoil a guy!

3. wat to go. sounds like you had a great time. what part of canada were you in? and good luck on those bass.

4. Great trip - like ice dude said- where did you go? I am going up to the Wawa area in late July. My buddy has a cabin to stay at and then drive around Lake Superior. Hopefully it will be cooler up there!

5. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

We drive to a place called Hornepayne....past Wawa...turn North at White River. A lot of fly ins go out of Hornepayne (Governor Lake). We fly into Nagagami Lake....been at the lake for about 15 years so we know it pretty well.

I know Wawa also has a lot of flights out. You'll enjoy the area if you've never been there.

Also, if you've never driven Highway 17 along Superior, you're in for a treat. I've been along Highway 1 on the California coast, but I think this is a prettier drive.

If you're going in July, the Walleye seem to relate to weed lines more than they do in June. But, your buddy should know what he's doing.

Good luck there and have fun.

6. What outfitter did you fly with? We have been flying out of Red Lake but it is such a long drive up there and you have to go through Chicago. I would like to find a place where we could just drive north through Michigan. Any info on good walleye fishing in Michigan would be appreciated also. Thanks!

7. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Here's a link to the outfitter's site: http://www.kayveelodge.com/

They're great people to spend a week with.

8. Thanks for the reply. Looks like a great place! Do you do any walleye fishing in Michigan? We used to go to a place in Minnesota, but it was sold as private cabins, also the walleye fishing has not been very good lately. We are looking for something where we don't have to go through Chicago. Thanks, Kevin

9. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

I don't do much fishing in Mich (even though we're on the Mich side of Lake George, I think of it as an IN lake).

If I were going to fish an Indiana lake that has it all, it would be Maxincukee....a lot of bass, smallies and quite a few walleyes