close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Back Home Again, In Indiana

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by Trumpetman, Jun 19, 2007.

1. I'm Greg Hodnett. I'm fairly new to hunting. My brother has been hunting for years, and he always wanted me to go with him. I was always "too busy." Then I moved away for 17 years. I came back to Hoosierland when I bacame sick and had to retire. I never learned to hunt until I was 49 years old. I'm 52 years old now. I move kind of slow, but I get the job done.

The reason I got started hunting is really bizzar. It started in April of 2004, when I was robbed at gunpoint. The bad guy robbed in my driveway, and took me inside my house to get all the money I had in there, including the money I kept for my mother, since I was taking care of her finances. Next, the robber tried to kidnap me in order to get at my bank account. That's when I made a break for it. My guardian angels were working overtime. At the exact moment the crook pulled the trigger, I fell. The 9MM bullet missed me by inches. I got away, and the bad guy got caught. The detective on my case advised me to learn how to shoot and become armed. Thank God I took his advice. During the hearings and the trial I was stalked and chased, and the rear window of my van was shot out. I stayed my ground and attended every hearing, making a victim's statement that essentially doubled my attacker's sentence. He's doing 5 to 10, with 5 years' probation to follow.

As I got into shooting sports, I started small. My aunt gave me a little .25 ACP pocket pistol. After a couple of weeks I bought a Smith and Wesson 9MM carry piece, a .22lr Savage rifle for teaching my kids the basics, a Ruger Single-Six, and a Mossberg 500 pump shotgun. That fall my brother took me squirrel hunting, and that got me hooked. I bought a muzzle-loader and took my first deer in the Hoosier National Forrest just 20 minutes after starting time on opening day, 2004. What a thrill!

I've been "back home again in Indiana" for 13 years now. I love it now more than ever. Maybe that's because my brush with death brought out a new zest for life. Indianapolis is like the wild, wild west, with murders every week. I carry a .357 magnum, or a 9mm, or a snubnose .38 everywhere I go, even to church. I've decided to do my part to secure the homeland. I don't know if we can tame this cruel city, but hopefully we can band together and bring back that lovin' feelin' I had growing up here.

I think I'm going to like this forum. God bless!

Greg Hodnett

2. Thats one he** of a story Greg. Glad to have you aboard and welcome back to Indiana.

3. Welcome Greg, glad to have you with us. Literally...

4. Welcome to the site Greg. I too got into archery and now muzzleloading a little later than most. I have learned a lot from these guys.

5. Welcome Greg...sorry to hear about your tramatic ordeal.

6. WOW, WHAT A GREAT STORY. I ADMIRE YOUR COURAGE TO SEE THE PROSECUTION THROUGH DESPITE THE INTIMIDATION TACTICS USED AGAINST YOU, I WISH MORE PEOPLE STOOD UP LIKE YOU DID.

I HAVE A HARD TIME ACCEPTING THE FACT THAT THE PERP ONLY RECEIVED 5-10 YEARS FOR A CRIME OF THIS MAGNATUDE. HE OBVIOUSLY WAS A VERY VIOLENT INDIVIDUAL THAT INDEED TRIED TO KILL YOU. PEOPLE, WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM. THIS GUY SHOULD BE LOCKED UP FOR 25 YEARS MINIMUM. THIS COULD VERY EASILY HAVE BEEN ANY OF US, LETS ALL LEARN A LESSON FROM GREG`S MISFORTUNE. STAY VIGILANT, STAY ARMED AND READY.

WELCOME GREG, TO OUR SITE AND TO THE HUNTING COMMUNITY.

7. I agree, Brich. Welcome to the forum, Greg. Glad to have you with us.

8. Great story! Welcome back...... You'll love this forum!

9. Thanks, guys. I appreciate the warm welcome.

By the way, even the police were amazed at the light sentence. My lead investigator predicted 60 years, which is only 30 years certain in our state.

I am especially upset for the crime fighters who risked their lives chasing this thug down, only to have a sissy judge try his dead level best to cut the crook loose -- until he realized I wasn't going away. Oh, and the robber had a 5-year-old boy with him at the time of the robbery. He was used as a sympathy-getter. That's the main reason I got pulled into the whole mess to start with. The poor little guy has a crack whore for a mother, whose only male role model is a shack-up drug-dealer. Thank God his grandmother got custody. She has at least half a chance of showing the boy a better way.

10. Sounds like a bad situation... Probably a good thing you'll be packin' in the next 5-10 years. Welcome...

11. Hey.

Good to have another hero among us.

12. Fish Hook

Fish Hook Banned

You gotta love a man thats even strapped at church, welcome.

13. Greg, I'm glad I got curious and finally looked at this thread. It deals with quite a bit more than I figured. I'm glad you're still with us and I'm glad you've found the outdoors again. I thank God for every blessing that I've received over the years...I'm sure you do too.

Thanks for sharing your couragious story with us all here on indianasportsman.com.

Welcome aboard!!

14. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Glad you made it ok...welcome to the site...lots of good people here.

Cary