close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Baiting Crappie...

Discussion in 'Northeast Indiana Fishing Reports' started by Tim Corn, Apr 4, 2006.

1. When hooking a minnow for crappie, How is the best way to put the minnow on the hook? Through the mouth, back, or tail?:help:

2. different ways depend on how your fishing

slip bobber thru back swims freely. jig under mouth out head free lineing thru bottom of tail dont hit spine good luck

3. small minnow i hook through the eyes larger minnows i hook through the back.

4. Same here.

5. well it's my belief that a crappie eats a minnow most of the time from the head first then spits it out a couple of times to scale it. Then eats it. So I hook mine though the lips. Also if using a jig it looks like the minnow is feeding on the jig so the crappie is getting a bigger meal, But mostily hook mine through the lips.

6. I have hooked then all different way and I think it just depends on how you want to do it.

7. I like to take a fine silken thread, tie it around the girth of the minnow, then tie the thread to the hook. On a good day, I may be able to rig 3 maybe 4 baits this way...I could do more, but the little buggers won't stop floppin' around.

Actually, just depends on how I'm rigging, may be through the lips for jigs, on slip bobber rigs, always through the back.

8. thru the back

Through the back just behind the head/gill. Just underneath the spine.

9. Thanks for the replies...it really helps. Me and my son are kind of new to crappie fishing and any info can't hurt. Thanks guys...we'll let you know how it goes...:bouncy: