close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Beginning of rut?

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by pyramid, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Does anyone have any info on when rut and pre rut is supposed to begin this year. I am hunting in Martin county. Thanks.

2. I read somewhere that the first does will start coming in around the 21st.

3. Sooner the better :evilsmile :evilsmile :evilsmile

4. Hey Indy, which month are you referring to, and do remember where you read it??? Just curious....

5. Around here the pre-rut seems to start around the last week of october. Lots of bucks wondering around but no Does in heat. Last year the peak here seemed to be around to 12th of November.

6. I think the article was in Field and Stream. Oct 21st

7. I think it's going to happen earlier than expected!!!!!!!

8. With the full moon on Oct. 5 the does should enter into estrus 28 days later which would be around Nov. 3. But that is only a guide. Sure some if not many will come into estrus a week, possibly two earlier.

9. I think I read doesinheat.com that all the registered does that had logged in all agreed that they would allow the Indiana rut to start on Nov. 4th at 8:47am. There was a group from the southern part of the state that wanted to hold off until the 5th at 10:32am due to other social commitments, but the majority won out. So I'd be in the stand the morning of Nov. 4th.

Upon leaving that website, I instantly put the date and time in my calendar in Outlook with an urgent reminder.

By the way, the does all heard that some of us hunters were monitoring their website so they had it shut down, that is why the above link won't work.

Good hunting all.:biggrin:

10. Second Week Of November

I REMEMBER READING AN ARTICLE IN DEER AND DEER HUNTING MAGAZINE WHERE CHARLIE ALZHEIMER MAKES HIS PREDICTION EVERY YEAR BASED ON THE SOLUNAR TABLES. IF I REMEMBER RIGHT, I THINK THE PEAK IS TO BE AROUND THE SECOND WEEK OF NOVEMBER.

11. The link below is to an interesting discussion on rut timing. The poster whose screen name is BSK is Bryan Kinkel from Tennessee. Bryan is a highly respected and credentialed biologist, and in the thread he explains that rut timing is based on photoperiodism.

http://www.qdmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=5638

12. Pre rut usually begins toward the last week of Oct. Depends on the temps as well...

13. When we were up to Charlie's seminar at Warsaw, he the most deer will be kill the week of NOV 18th.

14. The Primary Breeding period usually starts toward the end of the first week of November every year and doesn't change much. The majority of does will be bred between November 6-November 20th every year. Research has shown where nearly 80% of does will be bred in this time frame. This is because Midwestern whitetails have evolved to breed in this timeframe because fawns will be born 195-200 days later when spring greenup will provide adequate feed for mamma, which insures that milk production is optimimun; thus causing maximum fawn survival. This evolution of breeding was also timed so that fawns have grown enough to survive winter. Some will get bred sooner, and some later, but mark the first couple three weeks of November on your calender every year.

The Pre Rut is actually the whole time period from when bucks lose velvet and summer coats up until the majority of does enter the breeding estrus of November. So we are in the Pre Rut right now, and will be until around the end of the first week of November.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2006