close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best fall food plot?

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by pyramid, Nov 29, 2006.

1. I have already taged out this year and I am already thinking about next season. Myself and four friends lease some property in Martin county we want to put out some food plots next year. Just wanted to get some opinions on them what works and what does not. Fall attraction will be the primary goal. All input is appreciated. Thanks...

2. Thats a tough question to answer. It all depends on what is currently available to the deer for crops and browse on and around your property and how what you plant fills areas that are lacking. Take a look around neighboring properties on Google Earth and see what is around in terms of cover and available food. You also should start to get an idea of deer densities around where you want to plant because if there is an abundance of food around and low deer numbers, your plot may be a hit or miss situation. On the other hand too many deer for available forage can destroy a small plot overnight. For good fall plots it is better to put out a few 1/4 to 1/2 acre plots than one big one, this keeps you in bow range throughout most of the plot. Make it adjacent to the thickest cover you can and try to place them along natural routes that deer are taking anyway. Pay attention to the prevailing wind direction when laying out your plots to keep your approach down wind. Small Fall plots are usually best done as an annual planted late summer to make the food source available when you are ready to hunt. Brassica mixes (for late fall) and annual clover(early and late) are good starting choices but make sure you get some soil samples to a lab for nutrient and lime reccomendations. You just have to get the basic layout down first, make the necessary adjustments to your soil and plant as many varieties as it takes to find what the deer prefer. You can get lists of plant varieties from Biologic, tecomate and Whitetail Institute to name a few. What works in one area doesn't always work in another.
    Let us know how you make out.

Ed

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2006