Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where would be the best place to go to hunt wild hogs near Indiana? I don't mind driving a few hours away. Are there free sites, or would I have to pay $$$ to hunt there? Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
It is now illegal to guide for wild hog in indiana. You cannot pay any type of compinsation for the privilege of hunting them. You have to find someone that can take you as a friend, or do the leg work and find land owners that will let you hunt. Check our other posts on hogs to learn more.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well I didn't know that you couldn't charge to let someone hunt hogs on your land but I'm real glad to hear that. Thats something I really worry about. Some goofball releasing a bunch of wild hogs that they trapped just to have hogs to hunt. That would just devistate this state. Look at other states that already have this problem. Landowners should really keep an eye open for thses things.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You can hunt hogs in Indiana, with permission from the landowners. I have killed between 90 and 100 of them, and wonder how many there would be if I had not killed them. Since 2004 about half were sows, thats about 47 over 7 years. If one sow can have a litter and be pregnant by one year of age......... well do the math, we would be in trouble. Shoot em on sight, ask questions later. So far there is no lic. needed for hogs in indiana. The funny thing is, when you approach some of the landowners to ask permission to hog hunt, they look at you all funny and say, "we aint got them around here." Then i show them the pictures of hogs from only 200 yrds. from their porch on the next property. One man had hogs bedding less than 100 feet from his back door and he didnt have a clue about it. Now he wont go into the woods without protection. I seriously doubt we get rid of them because there are too many places for them to hide in my part of the state.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Fill another deer tag and I'm game for going after some.
I dislike pigs (incident at grandmas farm as a kid) so would love to blast one, or two, or three (could be habit forming I hear) ;)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Sounds like a plan guys, but I will have to wait till after the holidays, cause Im going to Tenn. to see my Dad and Mom for Thanksgiving and the Christmas shut down. After that, would be perfect, because with any luck there willl be a little snow on the ground for tracking. I also have some buds with dogs too ( might speed up the process) It is an adrenaline rush that is second to none. At the moment the hogs are being ran around alot by the hoards of gun hunters . So far Ive heard of 11 hogs killed opening weekend. But only got to see pics. of 2 . My opening weekend was spent at home and running my oldest son to guard drill. But love to hear the stories and see the pics . Keep in touch and lets do this. There are a couple more that have allready been and want to go again too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds like a plan guys, but I will have to wait till after the holidays, cause Im going to Tenn. to see my Dad and Mom for Thanksgiving and the Christmas shut down. After that, would be perfect, because with any luck there willl be a little snow on the ground for tracking. I also have some buds with dogs too ( might speed up the process) It is an adrenaline rush that is second to none. At the moment the hogs are being ran around alot by the hoards of gun hunters . So far Ive heard of 11 hogs killed opening weekend. But only got to see pics. of 2 . My opening weekend was spent at home and running my oldest son to guard drill. But love to hear the stories and see the pics . Keep in touch and lets do this. There are a couple more that have allready been and want to go again too.
What type of gun do you hunt with and what do you recommend for beginner?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I hunt hogs with a 30-06 at the moment, but my favorite is a 12 ga. with slugs because the land we hunt them on is really hilly and not too far of a shot, usually. You would be able to use a scope now that all the green is gone. Just remember that you cant over-do it. There are some really big hogs, sometimes over 400 lbs and i have heard of bigger.

Would you want to shoot this hog with a 22Lr ? me neither. So any high power or slug gun that shoots more than one shot at a time, like semi auto or pump. You carry any of these guns in the woods right now and you get stopped by the CO you will have some explaining to do. First thing they think is your shooting deer. So thats also one of the reasons for waiting till later to have a hog hunt.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Should be fine with soft solid slug not hollow point. Some hogs are pretty thick so you need more penetration, ive seen hollow points explode before doing much damage. Actually not even getting past the fat, and this time of the year like everything they are packing it on. At close range hollow point will do for broadside shot through ribs, but you cant allways count on that. Hell sometimes you have to shoot over and over as fast as you can for self preservation. so the more damage the better.

·
Registered
271 Posts
What part of the state has the most hogs?
I haven't seen any here in S.W. IN, or have I not been looking in the right place?
If I was to look for a place that has hogs what should I look for first scat, tracks, rooting spots, bedding areas?
I don't want to be surprised by one while hunting with only a bow, I carry a S&W .40 but I not sure if that would stop one.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I can only vouch for south central In. Between Brownstown and Bedford In. from Norman down to Salem In. These are the outer most towns that are around the area that I hunt hogs. The most definate indication of hogs to me is mud imbedded in tree bark. That could be from a few inches from the ground, up to waist high. Hogs wallow in mud for a couple reasons then they rub against a tree . The mud can tell you how long ago they were there also, if it rained two nights ago and there is dried mud with no runs from the rain washing it down the tree, then you know they had been there within two days. Wallows can be another great way to tell the size and time of use too. Rootings is a sure thing if they flip the ground over , some will root in a line that can continue for quite a few feet . If you are in an area with signs of hogs, fresh or not, keep your hand on your weapon and stay on alert . Most hogs will run from you, but on occasion there will be a boar with a sow in heat and he is dangerous, very. Sows with babies are another reason to be alert, they will act like a bear when you get between them and their babies, or if you think its cute and try to pick up one, thats a big no no. The effectivness of the 40 you got depends on how you use it, or the chances you have to use it properly. just about any gun will kill a hog, but I allways say the bigger the better. If there is anything else I can help ya with let me know.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info indianashogman because I would hate to be caught unaware when some big boar comes to chase my a$$ out of the woods. From what I hear these boars can run fast, so what is my chance to get away from them?
Should I run or duck behind a tree then pullout the .40?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Well that would depend on where you were when you had encounter. If you were in a powerline right of way surrounded by briars, then you better stand your ground and concentrate on the shots to the head. In the woods you have more choices, you can climb or duck behind or just shoot. But honestly the odds of being attacked are pretty high , I have only been charged 5 times since 2004 and I hunt them prob 20 or more times a year. Just keep in mind it could happen but dont dwell on it. Most times they will run away. And when they run toward you, they may not know your there, they are just trying to get away from the action and noise of gun shots.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Wow, those are some awsome stories of your hog hunts! Really enjoy reading them and the adventures you've had. I really hate the fact that there are so many now in the state, makes me wonder how long it'll take um to get to my neck here in southern Morgan Co.?? Glad you are out there doing your part to help keep um under control. If you ever need an apprentice hog hunter please let me know, I'm not far from you and would love to "bring home the bacon" so to speak! Take care and keep slaughtering um, the more the better! Be safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great Stuff

Is all the land in the South Central part of the state you hunt indianashogman private? is there any public ground down there? I am looking to introduce my sons to a good off season adventure. Thanks in advance. BTW great stories love the adventure right here in our own state.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.