Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There is some forestry near Kurts that i have heard that someone may have let some loose but have not confirmed that. All the land I hunt is private land , owned by some very generous people that love the sausage and deer meat and hog meat I give to sone of them. Some will let me bring people and some wont. the hogs move alot , right now the white river is flooded out and the hogs have moved to the hills, which is good for the hunters. I started a social group called Indiana hog hunters and invite members to join and come hunt with me . Its free and I will teach them as much as i can about the hogs and how to hunt them. I will be doing more hunts in Jan. Still need more deer meat for friends and family.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm writing for my husband here...he's interested in hunting hogs

We're new to this site so he has a couple of questions

He'd like to know where in Indiana you're located?

Also, if no licensing is not involved can an out of stater hunt hogs here too?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hey Exilewitch, I noticed you have a question or two. There are a few of us that hunt hogs here in indiana and we are from all over the state. Not sure to whom you were asking the questions, so I will jump in and see if I can help ya. Located in south central Indiana. And yes, out of state hunters can hunt hogs without a license, BUT... The gun laws for each state varys so you would need to contact the region district conservation office to get the latest rules on out of state hunters rules for guns # 812-837-9536 . Thanks and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Exilewitch, I noticed you have a question or two. There are a few of us that hunt hogs here in indiana and we are from all over the state. Not sure to whom you were asking the questions, so I will jump in and see if I can help ya. Located in south central Indiana. And yes, out of state hunters can hunt hogs without a license, BUT... The gun laws for each state varys so you would need to contact the region district conservation office to get the latest rules on out of state hunters rules for guns # 812-837-9536 . Thanks and welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the info. My husband and son in law are very interested in hog hunting, both are in Indiana, and would like to join your group in January. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
So , looks like you just joined the site, why don't ya tell us a little about yourself ? Then we will try to steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Indiana hog hunting

Hey, its pickle61 and i am new here. I have been hunting whitetails for the past 41 seasons. I hunt with rifle,
crossbow,handgun,shotgun,muzzleloader,and camera.
I would love to get to go hog hunting. Anybody that
would steer me in the right direction i would really
appreciate it!!! I am ready for some excitement. There is
too much time for me between deer seasons year to year.
I am looking for a friend to hook me up with some hog
hunting. And then they can huntm with me for whitetails.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have been offering to take members of our " indiana hog hunters " social group here on the site hunting from time to time, but I'm gonna be layed up for a while due to surgery soon. So keep an eye out for the recovery and you might get in on a hunt later this spring or summer, if you join the group, its free and we do have fun.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
click on my avitar picture and it will take you to my profile page. just scroll down and you will see the hog hunters group . below it, it says join group, click it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well I'm sure the part of the state with the biggest problem is where there's the most interest in hunting them. If the people that are releasing these pigs to get them established would just releas them in a fenced in area that would be fine. You guys gotta think....once they're here there here to stay. Just think what they do to the deer and turkey populations. There should be big fines if anybody is caught releasing these things here.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Not sure where the bigest population is, but i know they are wide spread in my part of the state. Maybe not so thick, but wide spread, pockets here and there .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can only vouch for south central In. Between Brownstown and Bedford In. from Norman down to Salem In. These are the outer most towns that are around the area that I hunt hogs. The most definate indication of hogs to me is mud imbedded in tree bark. That could be from a few inches from the ground, up to waist high. Hogs wallow in mud for a couple reasons then they rub against a tree . The mud can tell you how long ago they were there also, if it rained two nights ago and there is dried mud with no runs from the rain washing it down the tree, then you know they had been there within two days. Wallows can be another great way to tell the size and time of use too. Rootings is a sure thing if they flip the ground over , some will root in a line that can continue for quite a few feet . If you are in an area with signs of hogs, fresh or not, keep your hand on your weapon and stay on alert . Most hogs will run from you, but on occasion there will be a boar with a sow in heat and he is dangerous, very. Sows with babies are another reason to be alert, they will act like a bear when you get between them and their babies, or if you think its cute and try to pick up one, thats a big no no. The effectivness of the 40 you got depends on how you use it, or the chances you have to use it properly. just about any gun will kill a hog, but I allways say the bigger the better. If there is anything else I can help ya with let me know.
Man if at any time you would take a trainee I would love to go on a hog hunt. [email protected] At anytime. Thank you God bless

·
Registered
129 Posts
Man if at any time you would take a trainee I would love to go on a hog hunt. [email protected] At anytime. Thank you God bless
Welcome to the board superbird1872, I'm sure you may have noticed but this post is 10 years old, may not get too many responses. Looking at past posts, down south is your best bet.
Here is an article about hogs in indiana

21 - 40 of 40 Posts