close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best shooting slug guns

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by dirtyq, Nov 6, 2006.

1. I'm thinking of getting something new soon. What have you guys had luck with? Specifically I want something that groups at 100yds, preferably with a scope mount option. I've been looking at the new Mossberg 535 and stoeger model 2000 slug/turkey combo. But will take any suggestions. Any help appreciated.

2. whats up dirtyq this doesn't pertain to your question but a kid I have in class is supposed to have trail cam picks of some big bucks pretty close to your dads farm. He said he would bring them in tommorrow, I will keep you posted.

Oh yea!!

Mossberg 695 Bolt action. Kicks like a mule but very accurate at 100 yards.

3. Forget Mossberg....
    Go with a remingtom 1187 rifled cantilever barrel. Those guns are amazing. Mossberg manufacturing is going down hill. I say if you are going to buy a gun then buy the right one. Remington is the only answer. I would say go with an encore but its a single shot.

4. What's up Gid?

Dirtyq did you get my email? You know my only answer is the Encore baby! In my opinion if it isn't a semi it might as well be a single.

5. i would go with remington u cant beat the quality. there the best in my opinion. the mossberg is cheaper but the quality is not there.

6. go with a remington 870 special purpose slug gun. Dad has one and shoots Lightfield slugs from them. I watched him shoot a deer in the neck at 80 yards with it. (yes that's where he was aiming). It's not a real expensive gun but man it's awesome. The ballistics on the slugs from that gun are amazing as well.

7. Shoot a 20 GA and a 12 GA side by side at a range at 100 yards. You tell me the difference. If your looking for a slug gun, you cant beat the accuracy of the 20 GA. But then you line up the 20 GA with a good IN-LINE ML, its the same again. The ML will out-produce again. If I was hunting with slugs, I always took my MOSSSBERG VIKING 20 GA. bUT IF i WAS TO GO IN THE WOODS NOW FOR DEER, I WOULD TAKE MY BLACK DIAMOND

8. If your gona go with a single shot i would say the encore hands down i have two of them and would trade them for the world, if you want a repeater then the 11-87 sp is they way i'd go, but if your like most of us and hate to turn loose all that money look at the h and r ultra slug, i bought one 2 yrs ago and man that is a shootin sob, i watched my cousin who had never hunted before drop a doe last year @ 125 yrds, they claim they are accurate to 200 with partition gold slugs, and very litle recoil, they are pretty heavy though i wouldn't want to still hunt with one

9. Thanks

Thanks for the help guys. I was already looking at many of those you mentioned and your tips helped.

10. Kind of a side note here...I have a couple of slug guns and as pigeon said, they do shoot about the same...BUT...what kind of sights do you want on your gun? That's been a big issue for me.

Tru-Glo Sights should be manditory on any slug gun (my own bias, I'm not a big scope fan). I've missed easy deer becouse I couldn't see the brass bead at the end of my barrel during low light conditions, just after one of these misses, grabbed my buddy's gun and could not believe how much easier it Would Have Been, to find the sight and take the shot. The first thing I did to the last gun I bought was to have the sight replaced with a tru-glo, very cheap to do and worth every penny.

11. I shoot an 12 gauge 870 with a rifled cantilevered barrel. I like the scope mounted on it. I might think about a 20 gauge set up the same way. Light handy and effective with the new sabots available for it.

12. h and r ultra slug, i bought one 2 yrs ago and man that is a shootin sob, i watched my cousin who had never hunted before drop a doe last year @ 125 yrds, they claim they are accurate to 200 with partition gold slugs, and very litle recoil, they are pretty heavy though i wouldn't want to still hunt with one[/QUOTE]
    I too know a lot of guys around my area the shoot the H&R single shot slug gun and love them. I shoot H&R Sidekick .50 cal muzzleloader. I have been very pleased with it.........especially for the $220 price tag for a S.S. gun. The break open mechanism on these guns have been used by H&R for many years..it is rock solid. I am a big fan of "bang for you buck" and these guns are just that. ​

PLUS THEY ARE PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA!!!!

13. I SHOOT AN 870 PISTOL GRIP WITH A HEAVY, RIFLED, CANTILEVERED SCOPED BARREL AND GOOD BUSHNELL SCOPE WITH REMINGTON COPPER SOLIDS, A GOOD 150YD GUN. MAKE SURE YOU BUY A GOOD QUALITY SCOPE, MANY CANNOT WITHSTAND THE RECOIL OF A 12 GAUGE.

14. It ain't the arrow...it's the indian. This debate is like ford and chevy. And I asked the same question before settling on the Mossy 500 combo--great for clays w/ the 28: smooth barrel and the rifled 24" barrel for sabots. Find what's in your price range and never look back.

15. Encore 20Ga

I just recently purchased a 20ga Pro Hunter barrel for my Encore. I got a chance to get out & do some shooting on Sunday. All I can say is I am really impressed with the 20ga. I am not going to get in on the debate as to what brand is better than the next, but don't overlook the 20. The recoil is considerably less vs a 12ga & w/ a 50yd zero my drop was only 4" @ 100yds. At 50yds groups were 1.5 to 2 in & @ 100yds 3.5 was very repeatable(considering 15 to 18 mph winds) grin..... Just a little more food for thought