close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Turkey Guns

Discussion in 'Indiana Turkey Hunting' started by dirtyq, Jan 20, 2007.

1. You guys helped me a lot with slug gun suggestions. Now I was wondering what are some of the your favorite economical turkey guns? Thanks for any input

2. DirtyQ, I hunted with a Mossberg 835 for 5 years, good gun. I sold it this past year to a buddy of mine after he got his first bird with it. I'm waiting for a Turkey barrel for my T/C Pro Hunter. If they don't have one available by Turkey season, I'll buy an H&R single shot Turkey gun in 10 or 12 ga., its affordable, or I'll use my bow another season. Good Luck!

3. I use a Mossberg 500. I use Federal 3in 5 shot 2oz load. I can take a turkey at 50 yards with it. I know it would kill farther out but 50 yards is still pushing a shot. Get what is comfortable for you and whats in your price range. Try different shot sizes and pattern it. Make sure you have a good turkey choke.

4. H&R single shot 10 gauge with a red dot scope. 240$ for the set up. With Hevi-shot, I've stepped off my furthest kill at 58 paces. All you need is one shot, right?

5. i second the h/r single 10ga, barrowed one last year and will get my own this year!!

6. I'VE TURKEY HUNTED FOR 7 YEARS NOW AND HAVE ALWAYS USED A REMINGTON 870 WITH A HASTINGS TURKEY BARREL. NEVER MISSED A TURKEY YET 7 FOR 7, ANYWHERE FROM 10 YARDS TO 50....YES I KILLED A 3YEAR OLD TOM AT 52 STEPS. MIGHT WANT TO THINK ABOUT USING THE NEW HEVI-SHOT LOADS. I TRIED THEM LAST YEAR FOR THE FIRST TIME AND WAS VERY IMPRESSED. SHOT A TURKEY AT 20 YARDS AND DROP HIM...ALSO SHOT A COYOTE AT 40 YARDS. 1-SHOT...1 DEAD COYOTE.:bonk:

7. i second remington. I just bought a 870 super mag last year. Lightweight, full camo and mine came with the pistol grip stock. great for turkey hunting. The gun came with the super full choke and it patterns great with 3 inch federal turkey loads at 40 yards. it has a 3 1/2 inch chamber but that's a lot of powder for the little extra range.

8. I've used a Mossberg 500 for the last few years and have had good success. I just bought a Mossberg 935 and can't wait to try it out

9. Encore Turkey Gun with a Primos "Jelly-Head" here.

10. i've used a remington 1100 without any problems...with today's loads and choke tubes about any gun will get you out 30- 40 yards which is plenty far....it's more exciting getting them in real close...the best is when you can't see them but they are close enough to hear them spitin n drumin...if that don't get you going then check your pulse...:evil:

11. i have 2 mossberg turkey guns. 500 and a 835. i say 835 for birds that hang up around 40 to 50 yrds. they are good guns and affordable.

12. ALTHOUGH I DO NOT USE ONE FOR TURKEY HUNTING, I USE AN 1187; , AS FAR AS BEING EASY ON THE WALLET, AN 870 IS HARD TO BEAT. I USE AN 870 FOR DEER HUNTING AND FIND THEM INDESTRUCTIBLE. IN MY PERSONAL OPINION THE TRUE MEASURE OF A GOOD TURKEY GUN IS IN THE CHOKE TUBE USED, NOT SO MUCH THE GUN BEHIND IT. SAVE YOUR MONEY ON THE GUN, BUT DON`T SCRIMP ON THE CHOKE TUBE. IT`S WHAT MAKES A GOOD TURKEY GUN.

13. "Best" turkey gun is like asking what is the best bow or the best fishing rod or the best rifle. It all depends on what is important to you in a gun and how much you want to spend. Any shotgun will kill a turkey if you do your part and get the turkey in front of you.

Personally, I have a Rem. 870 SPS 12 ga. and have rolled a bunch of birds with it. It fits what is the best gun for ME. I like pumps, I like camo guns, I like 12 ga., and I like the 870 as a work horse design. So to me it is the "best" turkey gun.

Any of the pumps will work and work well, whether it is an 870, Mossy 500, Nova, Winchester, Charles Daily, Browning, or any of the others.

Any of the autoloaders are great as well. More money then a pump, but less recoil.

Any of the single shots will work just fine. Will an Encore kill a bird any more effectively then an inexpensive NEF? Nope.

Again, it all comes down to what you want out of a gun and how much you want to spend.

14. Remington 870 and 3 1/2 hevi-shot 6's. The last bird that I shot with a gun was taken with this setup. The bow is even more fun though.