close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Big Buck States and Indiana Counties

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by treehugger, Jul 30, 2006.

1. I was reading through Whitetail News, Volume 16, No. 1, put out by Whitetail Institute. I'm posting some interesting info from it I thought many of you would be interested in reading.

Square Miles It Took to Grow a Boone and Crockett Buck Last 5 Years
    Indiana ranked 7th of 10 listed - 399 Square Miles
    Indiana all-time ranked 8th of 10 listed - 176 Square Miles

Boone and Crockett Top 10 Typicals
    Indiana none ranked
    Illinois ranked 4th of 10 listed (204 4/8) Year 1965
    Kentucky ranked 6th of 10 listed (204 2/8) Year 2000
    Iowa ranked 10th of 10 listed (201 4/8) Year 1974

Boone and Crockett Top 10 Non-Typicals
    Indiana none ranked
    Iowa 3rd of 10 listed (307 5/8) Year 2003
    Illinois 4th of 10 listed (304 3/8) Year 2001
    Illinois 6th of 10 listed (294 0/8) Year 2004
    Iowa 8th of 10 listed (282 0/8) Year 1973

Pope and Young Top 10 Typicals
    Indiana none ranked
    Illinois 1st of 10 listed (204 4/8) Year 1965
    Iowa 3rd of 10 listed (197 6/8) Year 1962
    Illinois 6th of 10 listed (196 6/8) Year 2000
    Illinois 8th of 10 listed (195 2/8) Year 1999
    Iowa 9th of 10 listed (194 2/8) Year 1977

Pope and Young Top 10 Non-Typicals
    Indiana none ranked
    Illinois 4th of 10 listed (267 1/8) Year 2003
    Iowa 8th of 10 listed (253 1/8) Year 2003
    Illinois 10th of 10 listed (250 4/8) Year 2000
    Kansas held spots 5,6,7,9
    Ohio 1st of 10 listed (294 0/8) Year 2000

Top 10 Pope and Young States (Non-Typical Bucks Scoring 170 or greater)
    Indiana 8th of 10 listed - 40 entries
    Illinois 1st of 10 listed - 282 entries
    Iowa 2nd of 10 listed - 171 entries
    Kansas 4th of 10 listed - 145 entries
    Ohio 5th of 10 listed - 91 entries
    Kentucky 9th of 10 listed - 28 entries

Top 10 Pope and Young States (Typical Bucks Scoring 150 or greater)
    Indiana 7th of 10 listed - 208 entries
    Illinois 1st of 10 listed - 1,001 entries
    Iowa 3rd of 10 listed - 620 entries
    Kansas 4th of 10 listed - 442 entries
    Ohio 5th of 10 listed - 377 entries
    Kentucky 9th of 10 listed - 134 entries

Top 10 Picks for a Boone and Crockett Buck
    Indiana 6th of 10 listed
    Illinois 1st of 10 listed
    Iowa 2nd of 10 listed
    Kansas 3rd of 10 listed
    Kentucky 4th of 10 listed
    Ohio 5th of 10 listed

Indiana - Top 10 Boone and Crockett Counties
    1. Warren
    2. Porter
    3. Franklin
    4. Greene
    5. Fayette
    6. Putnam
    7. Lake
    8. Parke
    9. Bartholemew
    10. Jennings

Top 10 Picks for a Pope and Young Buck
    Indiana 6th of 10 listed
    Illinois 1st of 10 listed
    Iowa 2nd of 10 listed
    Kansas 3rd of 10 listed
    Ohio 5th of 10 listed
    Kentucky 10th of 10 listed

Indiana - Top 10 Pope and Young Counties
    1. Parke
    2. Vigo
    3. Jefferson
    4. LaPorte
    5. Marshall
    6. St. Joseph
    7. Ripley
    8. Greene
    9. Kosciusko
    10. Martin

2. I see Illinios with their short gun season in there alot.

3. Very interesting...thanks for posting, Randy.

4. Does anyone else notice how the top ranking states are all surrounding Indiana? Kind of shoots the argument down that you can't compare us with them don't you think??? Gee, where is Tennessee at?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2006
  5. After looking at this info and the maps provided in the article it only confirms what many already knew...we live in the region of the greatest whitetail hunting, not just in the United States, but in the world!!! No doubt Indiana's stature as a big buck state will only become even more evident over the next few years.

6. I told J.L this earlier in Chat, but here is what Mike Hanback wrote in "The Whitetail Beat" (a two page section in Whitetail Hunting Strategies magazine; Sept. issue).

5 Good Bets for The New World Record Whitetail

1) Illinois

2) Iowa

3) Saskatchewan

4) Alberta

5) Indiana: "This might be the hottest mega-buck state, thanks to good habitat and a one-buck-rule instituted by the state several years ago...It would not shock us if the new #1 came from the Hoosier State one day soon."

;)

7. Dr. Woods

Not that a lot of us didn't already know it, but is was encouraging to hear Dr. Woods say "IN has as much going for it than any place in America, it just needs a little tweaking in the qdm (seasons)". We KNEW it!!!!

Eric

8. Well think about gang, Indiana have a lot to offer in the way of deer and other game. Woods, wetlands, swamps, corn, wheat, oats, soybeans, buckwheat and the list goes on and on. It feels good to know that Indiana is among all those states for big deer. I believe that a world record deer will come from Indiana this year or next. What a great state to be able to hunt those beautiful animals. I just thank God that I am able to enjoy His great outdoors.

9. bump.....:hide:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  10. The Only Thing That Is Keeping Indiana From Appearing More Frequently Is Our Legnth Of Season And The Fact That It Occurs In The Peak Of The Rut, Imo.

11. Alot of bucks dont get offically scored also.

12. A lot of bucks aren't taken legally either........:mad:

13. It's true that not all of the giant bucks get scored in Indiana, but this argument applies to all the other states as well. Not just here. The sole reason that all the other states produce so many more giants than we do has to do with how deer are managed in those other states. If Indiana had produced more true giants in the past, we'd have tons more in the record books.

I know this is a "broken record" for most of us, but there are three different ways ( or a combination of those 3) to produce more mature bucks in a state.
    1) hold short firearms seasons (Illinois, Kansas)

2) Hold the general firearms season after the primary rut (Iowa, Ohio)

3) Have a one buck rule (Kentucky since 1989)

These are without question the top 5 monster producing states( notice how often each of these states is mentioned in Randy's original post above) right now. Watch what Indiana produces in the next 5 years. Anybody want to waiger a bet that at least one of our state records will be broken soon? (The bow non-typical record has been set twice in the last few years. And the muzzleloader typical record was killed a few years ago.)Scores of County records have been set in this time frame as well. I've got a real gut feeling that we're gonna produce a huge typical in the next couple seasons....I'm talkin' REAL SCARY BIG!!!!

The Canadian Provinces (namely Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba) are vast with light hunting pressure compared to the U.S. Their relatively low deer densities are conducive to huge antlered buck production as well; in addition to their harsh climate that keeps deer numbers low, and only the strongest doing the breeding.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  14. I've read somewhere on the net ,about how many B/C bucks were turned in by county in Indiana,but cant seem to run across it again.Any one know where to find this info from 2006?

15. Interesting that Fayette County was on the top 10 Boone and Crockett counties in Indiana. That's where I am from. I'll be honest... I've seen a few of them from the road. Is the first "square mile" stat saying that there is only one B&C buck per 399 square miles...??? It seems to me that the numbers would be higher. I mean... how many do you not ever see.