Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

Biggest Mistake of My LIFE?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Flintknapper 
#1 ·
I decided I would go out one day to go duck hunting with a friend... Long story short I am now picking up waterfowl hunting to add to my resume of Deer, small game, dove, coyote and turkey hunting. If anyone would like to offer any advice for a very green waterfowler I am all ears. Anything is appreciated! Gear, setups, decoy info etc... I already have some private spots so that's half the battle right? hahaha

#4 ·
About 8 yrs ago I was in your shoes, went waterfowl hunting with some friends and was hooked.
The next year one of my friends had some family issues and couldn't hunt so we didn't hunt.
For the next 3 years or so I didn't hunt waterfowl but last year my other friend said hey lets do it on our own (friend with family issues knew what he was doing with waterfowl hunting)
Anyway we both have learned a ton from hunting on our own and we're getting better every time We go out.
Last year neither of us killed a duck and we each only got one goose.
This year so far we have killed a fair amount of ducks apiece and waiting for the geese to start migrating....whenever that will be. Lol
They're starting to fly so it's just a matter of time.
enjoy your new found pastime.......

#5 ·
Your a doer, which will land you places to hunt. I flipped head over heals with the sport and hunted some choice clubs, but as a result of depending upon others and having failed, I managed to open up a few sights through my job. Now everyone wants to be my partner. I work in Ag but travel the country and our firms HQ is in Indiana. Land is more ample and farmers are pro hunting. My family was a pioneer family to San Francisco, where today our sport is frowned upon in the city. If I drive one hour in any direction to the country this phenomena goes away. I grew up a 4th generation native and my entire family works in Agriculture. People ranging from cattlemen to grape growers to Almond processors are my book of customers. I make sure my price goes down if they grant me trespass rights to hunt.
I love this group and mostly read the posts, but I started out reading land for lease ads and today hunt a great deal, sadly work to support my habit has to happen. My perfect job would be to be paid to go hunting, but then I wouldn't have something to plan for, to look forward to and to want all the tools or toys that go with each sport, bow, rifle pistol and shot gun hunting not to mention just being in the great out doors ( G.O.D). Good luck with your adventures.

#6 ·
First of all, welcome to the world of waterfowling, it is a fun way to spend time in the out of doors. I do not know your budget, but the #1 item is get the best shotgun you can afford and shoot well. I have had several different guns over the years from high dollar doubles and auto, to old 870 Rems. and I still like the way the 870's handle and shoot. A 12 ga. 3" is probably the best all round gun, I have a couple of 3 1/2" guns but rarely use them. Get good camo, both in clothes and in blind material. Decoys are important and you need to make use of them, learn the different types of spreads for different situations and set ups. As to which decoys to buy, there are a ton of good ones out there, I have started using the plastic floaters more an more each year, as they are lighter and in most cases look as good or better than the cork or wood ones for general hunting. Watch the adds on different sites and you can usually pick up some good decoys at a reduced price, especially right after season is over. Good luck and enjoy.

D

#7 · (Edited)
This is my third year duck hunting and my biggest word of advice is just get down the basics of it all from online research and magazines. Like the simplest of stuff, birds work into the wind, dont scream at birds coming at you, always do the absulute best you can at hiding yourself, ect. Be smart about throwing a decoy spread. Ive hunted with quite a few "veteran" waterfowlers who have been doing it alot longer then me and they fail at atleast a few of the most basic things and then blame birds not working on all sorts of other stuff. Always take other peoples advice with a grain of a salt, just because theyve been doing it for 30 years doesnt mean they do it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.