close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Black Bear Hunting

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by hunter47331, Jun 15, 2007.

1. I have read threads in the past where some of you have bear hunted. Did you hunt bear over a bait...???

A couple of my buddies went hunting in Manitoba a couple of years ago. They both harvested bear, and they've both hounded me about going with them on the next trip. They were on a semi-guided hunt with an outfitter, who had baits. I've never been too interested in hunting bear off of a bait, and thought if I was going to spend $3K, there were other animals that I would rather hunt in a more "fair-chase" enviroment (such as elk, caribou, javelina, antelope, etc). Let me first mention that I have never went on an out-of-state hunting trip, or hunted any game non-native to Indiana. My buddy calls a few days ago, and has ran into cheap bear hunts for this fall. He happens to own a cabin in Canada on some leased railroad property. He accidently ran into a guy on the web that has bear hunting rights to it. The deal is cheap, like $750 plus tags, groceries, and gas (and now passport). So I said, yeah I was interested in more info. Somewhere in there (I guess the cheap price), I had forgotten that it would be a baited hunt. A guy here at work asked if it was baited, and it struck me. I felt wierd about the idea again. What are your thoughts on this...

2. I have, spring of 2006 in northern Saskatchewan. Bow only, over bait. Some don't see it as a challenge, to each their own. I'll tell you this, if it were not for bait you'd be lucky to see a bear a month were I was. Not that they were not there, there were TONS of them. But the area was so dense, you couldn't get close to them.

Is it fair chaise? In my mind yes. Is it easy? It can be, or it can be difficult. There is a lot more to bear hunting than throwing a pile of donuts in a barrel. The weather has to be almost perfect for starters. Bears hate cold, they hate rain, they hate clouds, they hate hot days, they LOVE sunshine and 70 deg. weather.

They are an intimidating animal to hunt. They are the predator in the woods, not you. They are not like a deer and their noses are way better. They smell you and generally are not afraid, to them you are food. When they come into the bait, they know you are there. They'll even come check you out first. It can be scary stuff.

If you want to see bears up close and personal, take your time choosing your trophy, and just flat enjoy being around them, then baiting is the way to go.

My trip was not easy. The weather shut the bears down. I shot mine on my 4th day in the stand. I sat ALL day and shot him at 11:15pm at night (the sun did not set until almost midnight). He came in in super stealth mode and it took 5 times of him coming in to check things out before I released an arrow on him. He actually wasn't coming into the bait. There had been a sow using the bait and he was scent checking for her. She had been there that morning before I got to the stand. He knew I was there the whole time and was not scared in the least bit.

My trip was dirt cheap. I had more in the rug than the trip. Mine was kind of a once in a lifetime self guided trip. You have to use a guide in Canada, so we used a US outfitter license that a "friend" has and paid a licensed guide (some 70 year old Indian) to sit in camp and do nothing all week. My trip cost me under $800, tags included.

Bear hunting is a fun experience. Not something I could do every year, but I'll do it again some day. I want another one for a full body mount.:coolgleam

3. I WENT ON ONE ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO IN ONTARIO, THE LAST YEAR THEY ALLOWED SPRING HUNTS. I AGREE WITH DEREK, WITHOUT BAITS YOU WILL LIKELY NEVER SEE A BEAR. WHEN YOU ARE IN THE WOODS YOU ARE LUCKY TO SEE 20 YDS IN ANY DIRECTION, IT IS THICK. DON`T FEEL GUILTY ABOUT BAITING.

I WOULD CAUTION YOU ABOUT YOUR OUTFITTER, MAKE SURE HE KNOWS THE AREA AND HAS BEGUN PLACING BAITS A COUPLE OF WEEKS OR SO BEFORE YOU GET THERE. BAIT SITES HAVE TO BE ESTABLISHED, THE BEARS HAVE TO KNOW THEY CAN GO TO THAT AREA DAY AFTER DAY AND GET FOOD. IF YOU ONLY HAVE A WEEK TO HUNT YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ESTABLISH A SITE BEFORE YOU HAVE TO RETURN HOME.

4. I have 2 friends in Manitoba that have had a bear outfitting service for 20 years. Most of the area's 100 mile's north of Winnipeg are to big and gnarly to effectively hunt spot and stock or with dogs. Baiting lets the hunters see if a Bore large enough or a Sal has cubs. The logistics to effectively cover and bait such a vast area is expensive. We covered over 90 miles out and 90 miles in twice a day. With side trips of 5 to 10 miles on atv's. When you take out the cost of lodging, feeding and transporting hunters to the field. Any price under 3000 us for a 6 day hunt looks attractive. Best advise I can give is check some references. But at that price I might be tempted to try it once. Its a blast. Keep in mind that some of the provences restrict fishing in the spring till around first of May. But the early hunts in April are minus the black flies and other blood suckers. Thats the only reason I go. Best advise on gear sent elimination clothing and surgical gloves.

5. Bait

I have been hunting over bait for 3 years now and it is alot different then I ever thought it would be. Baiting is about the only way to pull bears out of thick timber and there is still no guarantee.

6. barrel of donuts.....food plots....its all the same.;) Whatever it takes to close the deal!

7. seabee

seabee Staff Member Super Mod Mod

I heard you shot one a couple days ago, how bout comming forward with some pics....:banghead3

8. I don't think it's that big of a deal. It is a legal way to attract them in. Do you use an attractant while fishing? Those bear are so deep in cover without it you might as well be bird watching ...with a gun.

9. People dont complain about hunting deer over corn fields, african animals over water, ducks and geese over corn fields, whats the difference between that and a bear. Im not advocating baiting as I think it has its own time and place. We hunt deer during the rut and try to capitalize on their sexual urges, you are hunting bears over bait trying to capitalize on their hunger. We do the same thing for almost all animals we hunt. You wouldnt hunt a squirrel in a woods with no nut trees would you?

10. Yip, Yip, Yip...no difference. I'd hunt bear over policeman pills anyday...just point me in the right direction. Hey, somebody was supposed to send me a link to a bear hunting site...hmmmm...who was that???

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2007
  11. hunted over bait in ontario. I freak'in rush boy. Our setup was about 70 yards from the bait and when that bear came in she did'nt make a sound. I did'nt have time to even think about it. Just let the old smokepole roar.

12. I Have Hunted Northern Quebec Twice For Carabou Both Trips I Seen Bears , The Second Trip I Decided To Stalk One It Took Me All Day And About 6 Miles But I Finally Caught Up To Him And Harvested Him , My Point Is For Around 3000 You Can Go On An Unguided Bou Hunt And Have The Chance Of Getting 2 Bous And A Bear, If You Go Up There Take A Cottontail Mouth Call And Find The Thicker Areas ,sit Up On The Top Of A Ridge And Call Toward The Thick Areas , Be Ready They Come Out Quick !!!! Either Way Be Carefull On Wich Outfitter You Choose, Get References!!!! Good Luck

13. I went on a fly in trip to Idaho 4 years ago, fantastic trip as far as the experience. landed on a greass air strip in the Selway, Horse back up into the mountains every evening for the hunt yes sitting over bait, , outfitter was a crook...(boulder creek outfitters)

Would love to go back with a different outfitter.