close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Black Bears in Indiana??? You be the judge!

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by treehugger, Feb 13, 2006.

1. How 'bout it guys...think there are black bears in Indiana??? This was taken by one of my friend's game cams recently...in Indiana.

[​IMG]

2. I didn't know Dean's girlfriend was in the Terre Haute area recently!

3. There was a verified sighting in south central Indiana this past year, Jackson County I believe.

4. Cow, black dog, black bear....very hard to tell.

I hadn't heard about the sighting in Jackson Co. Very interesting and exciting.

5. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Looks like Sasquatch to me.

6. I don't know what it is, but I have never seen a cow with hair that long.

What about a hog? Very Interesting! Tree, was that taken around the Terre Haute area?

7. It's definitely not a cow...no livestock in that area at all and I don't think I've ever seen a cow with hair that long. Also the height the camera was set at, if it was a cow, it would have gotten more of it I believe. Picture was taken in Vermillion County, IN.

8. very well could be a bear. the evansville paper had an article this past yr. talking about sightings of bears and big cats here in in. supposedly some of those sightings were supposed to be confirmed by scat and video. also there was a wolf found dead in a field in northern in. so why not a bear. ky. for the last few yrs. has confirmed that they have bears. i can still remember when cyote's were a rare sighting. that picture sure looks like it could be a bear.

9. One of the hunters that was in this area last fall found some large prints he thought to be a large cat. We plan to search the area and if possible make some casts of the prints to help identify the animal(s).

10. HUGGER, Tell your buddy to put some bait out and see if he gets a better picture.

11. the more i study that picture the more it doesn't look like a hog. it's not built like a hog. i really don't think a hog could tuck his head and snout in that far. the hair is to thick for the hogs i've seen. if you look at that picture and that shadow it's built like a bear. the whole anatomy of the back head and hip looks like a bear. i believe it's a bear. i hope he can get some more pictures of it. awsome !!

12. I agree with you scrapewatcher, I don't think it is a hog, but I was just throwing the idea out there. Personally, as thick as the hair is, it almost looks like a bear to me!

Tree,

Where was this taken in Vermillion county (if you or your friend wants to share that info, if not, I understand!)?

13. I really don't think it is a hog either. It looks more like a bear to me than anything else I can think of. I'll just leave it at Vermillion County for now. I know that covers a lot of territory but that's all I'll say for now.

treehugger