close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blind or No Blind?

Discussion in 'Indiana Turkey Hunting' started by Hetch Muncy, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2007
  2. Never tried one, but I think I'm going to with my son when he goes with me.

3. i've killed them with and without them, but most of the time i have some kind of quick set up blind with me.

4. I have used one many times...I like them because you can move around a little more without worrying about being spotted. The downside is your stuck in one spot. I don't like the one I have...it takes 10 minutes to put up...30 minutes to take down...and 45 minutes to put back in the bag...if I don't wad it up and throw it in the weeds first!!! :banghead3

5. I haven't used a ground blind for turkeys yet. I just carry a small handsaw for a quick shooting lane or two and that's about it. I move around alot if it is slow in one area so I figured it would be more a hassle for me.

6. I may try one this year, only because I'll be going after a tom with my bow.

7. I haven't hunted from a blind yet either. I take along some pruners to cut the limbs away Like Super-Mag does. There is a spot on the prop I hunt that would be good for it, but I've either killed, or called for others that have taken a bird from the same tree 3 years in a row. I guess it kind of depends on the terain you hunt also. I hunt down south of Martinsvill which is hilly so I can use those LITTLE hills kind of like a blind.

8. i have killed with them and without them,if your bow hunting them i think they are a must. i tried for three years with abow and kept getting busted. one season with a blind me and my brother in law doubled. last year took it and used my shotgun and tagged a nice tom in switzerland county. i like to use them because they also make you a little more patient instead of running and gunning

9. I've been bow hunting turkeys out of a Double Bull blind for 3 years now. This spring will be year #4. I have yet to kill a bird out of the blind, but I did miss one one time. I struggle not being able to run and gun hunt, even with the blind. Don't get me wrong, I love my DB Matrix, but often I feel my hands are tied when a gobbler hangs up. Run and gun without the blind and I can often re-set on the stubborn birds. Knock on wood, I've always gotten a bird, but never out of the blind. I've read where some feel hunting turkeys out of a blind is so easy it feels like they are kind of cheating. Not been my case for sure. For me, I've found it much easier to kill a bird (shot gun or bow) with out a blind. But I'll be back in my DB on opening day again this year.

10. I hardly use blinds but when I do I take a Double Bull blind. I have hunted in other blinds but the DB is awesome. It's as if you have just a little bit more freedom inside. It also makes it nice with two people. I help guide deer hunts for the Youth Hunt program in my county and blinds make it a great time. It makes it easy for people to hunt who are affraid to climb a stand or the person is disabled to climb because they are in a wheelchair or have a walker. I think blinds are the key for chasing those spring gobblers and their sharp eyes they have. I wasn't hooked to blinds until I sat in one, waved with my bare hand to a deer at 15 yards, and it didn't take off. Blinds are easy to set-up, great for concealment, and they get you out of the bad weather.

11. No blinds here unless you count the ones I make out of limbs and grass when setting up on distant birds, when time permits it. I just prefer to beat the bird with my skills and good camo. I kinda feel blinds take away from the hunt a bit. JMO...

12. I've never hunted for turkey, but I love hunting out of ground blinds. They are a must for introducing young kids to hunting, they can move, have a snack, keep a little warmer, keep dry if it's raining. They have many good points. I also echo feeling stuck in one spot when using one....little yin and yang to everything.

13. An Ameristep "Doghouse"?

The "take down" should be an Olympic event.

14. I actually agree with PBR on something! The sky is truly falling!

Throw that Doghouse in the trash. Get a hub style blind. DB's are expensive, no doubt, but anymore there are more affordable alternatives. ASAT just came out with an awesome blind very similar to the design and equal (IMO) in quality to the DB, for $250. Ameristep and others have copied the hub design blind as well, though IMO, they are not even close to the quality of an ASAT or DB. Even so, they are light years ahead of the Doghouse.

I had one of those Doghouses years ago. I set it up once, realized I could not physically shoot my bow out of it because of how small it was, then I fought it for like 2 hours getting it back in the bag, and promptly returned it. I bought my first of three DB blinds and have never looked back.

I love taking my daughters out deer and turkey hunting out of my DB. I've had so many close encounters with deer in that thing it is sickening.

15. I DO NOT USE AN ENCLOSED BLIND FOR TURKEY HUNTING, BUT I DO LIKE TO USE THE OPEN "FENCE" STYLE BLIND WHILE TURKEY HUNTING. I CAN GET AWAY WITH MOVING MY HANDS AND LEGS BELOW THE TWO FOOT WALL AROUND ME AND IS VERY EASY TO CARRY AND SET UP. IT WORKS IN BETTER WITH MY "RUN AND GUN" HUNTING STYLE.

I PURCHASED A FULLY ENCLOSED BLIND FROM CABELAS A FEW YEARS AGO , SET IT UP IN MY HOME, TOOK IT DOWN AND HAVE NOT USED IT SINCE. IT`S JUST TOO BIG AND CUMBERSOME FOR ME. I LIKE TO BE MOBILE.