close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Books

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Scott Werstler, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Ok, I'm an engineer by trade, but a conservationist by heart. Any recommendations by some of you guys on nice books to add to my library on conservation, foerstry, wildflowers, etc.?

I have learned through PM's that some of you have taken classed in wildlife management, biology, forestry, etc. and would like to hear what some of your favorite reference books are. They don't have to be identification books only, anything on Timber Stand Improvement, forestry etc. will do to.

I have pretty much exhausted the supply of pamphlets available from the DNR and I am aware of the literature available via the county co-op extension office. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I also am interested in good trappin books. I took some of you guy's advice and subscribed to Fur Fish and Game. Very imformative. I see they advertise books. I would like to pick up a few, but I am not familiar with the authors enough to know who I should choose.

2. Start with "A Sand County Almanac" by Aldo Leopold. There are also various habitat manuals available from Leopold's sponsoring organization, Pheasats Forever.

HatchetJack

Little know fact about Leopold - he was at one time a professional hunter for the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service shooting wolves and coyotes out west.

3. Good stuff right there Jack.

4. Thanks, Jack.

I know what you mean, I own 2 copies of a Sand County Almanac. One is paperback and the other hardback with photos of his property. Probably my favorite book. I was a member of pheasants forever for 2 years and did enjoy their publications, if that is what you were refering to. I also have a paperback on quail management put out from the DNR. Again, thanks for the input.