close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bow choices? What's recommended for a new shooter?

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by jaymac, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Thanks for all the help and information in the past. Now I'm thinking about extending my season with a bow. What do you guys suggest for a compound? I know I'll have to get fitted and stuff, but what is a reasonable investment and what all would I need to get? Also what brands are good?...and which ones should I stay away from?

Thanks again and I look forward to learning more from each of you! :tongue:

2. There are several reputable companies out there that make quality products. I've shot PSE bows for 16 years, and I've always been very impressed with the accuracy and forgiveness of their bows. However, if I were to seriously entertain thoughts of purchasing a new bow, I would shoot as many brands as possible to see which one "felt" right. You'll know it when it happens. Matthews, Hoyt, PSE, Bowtech, and Ross are all pretty decent brands as far as I've heard. There are certainly others, but remember to shoot MANY before you purchase one. For the higher-end models, you'll be spending anywhere from $500-$700 and up. But you can get a bow that will do the job for much less. Hope at least some of this helps.

3. I agree with James, shoot a bunch of 'em! There's so many good bows out there, the choice is really just up to the person. It's the accessories that'll get 'cha! I'd keep it simple the first year, when you have more time over the spring and summer months, you can refine what you like. I've shot the same bow the last 5 years, but don't ask how many times I've changed rests and sights. When in doubt, keep things as simple as possible.

Don't be afraid to look on the "Used Rack". Lots of folks upgrade their bows, and turn in some good ones. I picked up a nice Hoyt this way for bowfishing last summer. Got it dirt cheap too.

4. welcome to the world of bowhunting!!
    these guys are putting you on the right path. just take your time in your purchase. so much of bowhunting is loving your bow what ever one it might be. it will also do wonders for your confidence level.

5. This is my first year bowhunting, I picked up a Fred Bear Instinct. I have been very happy with the way it shoots.

6. I just got into bowhunting three years ago. I bought my first bow (Hoyt MT Sport) off Ebay with all the accessories already on it for $250. I shot it for two years and resold it and made a profit on it. Then I upgraded. I have no idea what you are looking to spend on a bow but being that it is all new to you I wouldn't go spending $1000 on a new set-up. Start out with something cost effective and simple.......trust me there is plenty of time to make things difficult in archery! Wish you luck.

7. I started out with a Fred Bear. You should be able to pick up a good used Mathews or Hoyt all set up at any bow shop that sells new archery equip.
    Just make sure the string and cable are in good shape!

8. I agree with everyone (Sounds like a broken record). I just wanted to add though that if you buy a bow off of ebay like Main Beam just make sure you shoot one before you bid on it. If you end up buying a new bow that you THINK is perfect for you, you may get a rude awakening when you shoot it for the first time.

9. seabee

seabee Staff Member Super Mod Mod

10. bowtech does have entry level bows everyone has some good pointers the most important for a new archer is make sure the bow fits you just like a glove would the right size,,,, draw length draw weight you don't want a bow you can't pull back when you get pumped up for mister big is right there and he can see you make sure you can pull staight back nice and easy and quietly

11. Wow! Guys, this is some great info. I'll keep all this in mind as I start "the search." It seems that around the $400 mark is the entry-level with any quality, right?

12. seabee

seabee Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Not saying quality wont come at a cheaper price, but at the top of the line bows thats about where your going to start...good luck!

13. I go though a LOT of bows. Like 40 in 5 years maybe?(I know I have a problem:evilsmile)

For right now? Best bang for the $ at the entry level is Martin's new lineup.
    Bengal, Cheetah, Jaguar....

I have a Rytera that retails at $800+ and the Bengal has nearly the same features at a ridiculous price.(Except the Bengal is modular)

You can get into some of their package deals for a hair over 400 out the door and these bows rival ANYTHING at 2x the price.

Just my observation...last year PSE had the bows to beat in the "Value" category IMO but Martin's looking great this year.

14. so many choices...so little time. I'm searching...still searching

15. I held the Bear Instinct this past weekend at a Dick's, no shooting range so haven't gotten the feel yet. I saw one guy has that one. Anybody else have any experience with this bow? How do you know how much draw weight to get? I'm assuming that's something the tech will help with.

Also, I picked up a slick website while I was surfing the net: probowhunter.com. They had some absolutely amazing deals..at least they seemed.