close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bow hunting turkey

Discussion in 'Indiana Turkey Hunting' started by duckwhacker, Mar 23, 2006.

1. I am new to this site and it seems to be a great site. I am looking for some input on bow hunting turkeys.
    my question is on broadside shots, 2 years ago i shot a tom broadside, I shot him at 9:00am and finally found him 5 hours later, 200+yrds from where i shot him. (kinda got lucky)I hit him exactly where i was aiming. oviously i was aiming in the wrong spot. I hit him on the high side of the leading edge of the wing. (he was not strutting when i shot). I was using a plain muzzy broadhead, the same that i used for deer hunting. the arrow went clean through. the turkey walked away as if he was not even hit.
    so, where would you shoot a broadside turkey?

I have my thoughts on the next time i get the same shot, just looking for some other opinions.

2. well it's my 1st time this yr. bowhunting but i've talked to a lot of people who have. i think you hit him in the right place just wrong broadhead. everybody who has killed turkeys bowhunting says you want to use expandables because you don't want a pass through. i've bought some to try. i'm just following advice from a few people who have killed several.

3. I have read that you should shoot a turkey as it is going away from you. If you are going to shoot it broadside, break its drumsticks or break both wings. The preference being its drumsticks. Hit em right in the top of the drumstick and if you get one or both it cant run or fly away. If you shoot a turkey as it is going away from you, then you have a much better chance of causing some serious bleeding. More organs to get into that way. Broadside is a sneaky shot to get vitals with. They are very small and have a very small vital area. Good Luck this season.

4. This will be my first year to turkey hunt, and I am going to try to pull it off with the bow. I am not using expandables, but I do have tiger claws set up behind my broadheads to slow the arrow on impact. A good friend of mine, who has been turkeyhuntin' for many years, recommends dulling your broadheads up, in an effort to slow them down upon impact.

If all goes well, I will be trying for a shot throught the backside. If the dekes are set up right, you should be able to get him turned around with his backside facing you. When he is fanned out, it will block his vision enough that you can get to full draw and let loose.

Good luck!

Damon

5. damon are you going to be in a blind ?

6. Blind

I haven't decided, yet. I have a Hunter's View Trophy Den that I bought 2 yrs ago, but for deer season I used an Advanish blind on my bow. I have an Advanish blind set up on the bow now for turkey season. It is very nice, and light, and worked excellent for deer season (hides the draw nicely). Depends on where I go.

To answer your question, yes I will be using a blind, just haven't decided which one. LOL

If you never seen an Advanish blind, check it out here:
    http://www.triplecrownoutdoor.com

this thing works very well with a bipod, such as the Vertical Advantage. Somebody else makes a bipod for bows, too (Vibracheck?).

You can check out the Vertical Advantage at:
    http://www.bowonlyoutdoors.com

Damon