close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Breeding Patterns

Discussion in 'Indiana Turkey Hunting' started by LoveHunting, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Does anyone know if the weather has a major influence on turkey breeding? I was just curious if the cold weather next week might delay the turkeys. I know it does with deer, but I don't know with turkeys.

2. Yes the weather has a major role on turkeys breeding. The turkeys have already began to breed. I have already witnessed this. I dont think the cold snap thats coming will have a big impact. Just my opinion...

3. The major key to the breeding season is the length of the days, or amount of sunlight per day. Once they start they don't shut down till the hens are bred. Temperature, rain, and wind can all effect that particular days activities. While my buddy was in Montana hunting last year it was snowing during the peak of breading season with temps around 20 degrees, and the gobblers were sounding off hot and heavy. Last year opening day here in IN it was in the upper 30's to start the day and birds were gobbling their heads off around me, but 2 miles away my best friends dad heard nothing. I will be out there no matter what because you just never know.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  4. i don't think the weather effects their breeding as much as their movements and the way they react. high winds with rain to me are the worst.

5. I killed my first bird in high winds and rain...:lol: Funny how unpredictable those goofy birds are!

6. :bowdown:

7. I've seen countless Tom's in full strut in front of the ladies here in the past couple of weeks. An awesome sight to behold. Now where will they be starting on April 25th???

8. I read in "turkey and turkey hunting" that the gobbler's sperm stays viable more in cool temps. Part of the reason on warm days they are fired up in the cool morning to get down and breed quickly. Don't know if it is true or not.

9. went out to do some field work this morning and the gobblers are strutting everywhere and gobblin their heads off. came around one curve and there were 2 strutters and about 6 hens in the road. awesome sight.

10. went out to do some field work this morning and the gobblers are strutting everywhere and gobblin their heads off. came around one curve and there were 2 strutters and about 6 hens in the road. awesome sight

and people say the season shouldn't be moved up any! :banghead3 :bonk:

11. Not to start an argument ... but ... how do you propose pulling those love sick gobblers off those hens to hunt them?

Now don't get me wrong, I consider myself a well above average turkey hunter and I consider myself a pretty darn good caller ... but I have yet to prove to an old tom that I'm sexier when the real thing is acting all slutty right out in front of him. I've shot toms off of hens, but honestly that was because I called in the hen, not the tom. In each case he was simply following his manhood around.

Every stinking hen is looking to be breed in April. The gobblers sure may be a vocal bunch right now, but this time of the year they will typically hang with those hens from sun up until sun down. The hens call the shots right now.

I'll gladly take our seasons just how they are ... I'd even be for another week at the end of season. That is when turkey hunting is fun, IMO. Hens are pretty much done and the gobblers are still running around thinking with their manhood trying to find that one hen that hasn't been breed.

It's too early right now to hunt them, IMO. But in a few weeks ... look out.

Hell, who am I trying to kid. If the State of Indiana made hunting turkeys legal 365 days a year ... I'd be the first one out there every day ... :chillin:

12. They will come to calling when the hens have all been bred. Then you can get the first stupid 2yr old gobbler that comes running in. Patience, grasshopper.

13. That is my point. If we open seasons in early April, we'll have every Tom, Dick, and Harry out there hunting until 10:00 am stomping out of the woods pissed off because the "birds are henned up". And in stomping out of the woods all they are doing is education birds. Hell, I here it all the time the first weekend of our season as it is now.

Let the birds breed and kill the lonely toms after 90% of the breeding is done.:) I actually find it pretty easy to call in gobblers after most of the breeding is done. They are lonely, looking for love, and none of the real hens are giving them what they want. That is where my fake slutty decoy works wonders.:biggrin:

Only the "stupid" birds die anyways. I'm proud to take the dumb ones out of the gene pool.:evilsmile

14. Not many birds 3yrs and older get called in. Most of the limbhangers get ambushed. They stick to their strut zones when they get older and rarely come to calls, even when they don't have any hens. I called to one of those jokers for an entire morning last day of kentucky's spring season, last year. That dude strutted back and forth on the side of a mountain in a spot I couldn't get to him. I could see his beard dragging the ground through my binocs. Put me up there in the book if I ambush him in a couple weeks, I ain't proud.

15. Nothing wrong with a little ambush mode. You've got to take 'em how you can get 'em. I had to ambush one last year. Had no choice.

I called in an OLD tom one time. 4 year old smarter than smart. I watched that joker and his buddy strut the same field for days on end. I got lucky and slipped in on them one morning at about 11:00 am or so. Where the hens were, I have no idea and I didn't complain. Settled down and watched the most text book strut display ever. It was a thing of beauty. Rolled him over at 20 yards after my heart couldn't take it anymore. He's now on display at my house in a glass cabinet.:coolgleam

I've called in a lot of birds, most of them 2 year olds. Nothing wrong with that for sure. I like shooting the dumb animals to let the smart ones pass on the intelligent genes.:evil: