Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all you avid fishermen & women here.
I love nearly all types of fresh water fishing, & today I am hoping to find out some information about smelt fishing in Indiana, where to, legal methods, limits, etc. specially where & when they run, spawn.
Thx for any help you may give.
Tight Lines.:fish2:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Finally. PLM. People like me.

Glad to have you aboard Brodrfshrmn. Looking forward to some good fishing discussion.

WAR

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
There used to be smelt fishing in Oliver Lake just south of Lagrange. I'd bet they are still there but I haven't heard anything about them for several years. There is a good public access there but I don't know if they are out on the main lake, Its one of the last to freeze. If you go out of the access there is a bay on your right - thats where they used to fish. Lots of trout in that Lake and the whole chain its part of. I think they just use bluegill gear, I don't think there is any limit. They also net them some up around Lake Michigan but someone else will have to tell us about them :)

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Welcome to the site, I think the most productive smelting in Indiana is up around Portage, in the Lake Michigan tributaries. Not real sure on the methods used though.
Good Luck out there!

sparky

1 - 6 of 6 Posts