Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been bow hunter longtime and love it. shoulder giving me troubles and they had a deal going on so I bought a crossbow. did the reviews thing for several weeks on line and had it narrowed down to a couple low end jobs with good reviews. dunhams had the sniper elite 370 for 220.00 so I pulled the trigger on it. shot it first time today. took it to a friends to use his 4x4 target to get in the ballpark. was only 2" off first shot. ok there, but what we weren't fully ready for was the power! the bolt almost fell out the back of his block. lol had to improvise with some swim raft foam to keep from blowing threw it. ruined the fletch on one bolt getting the target beefy enough. sighted in for 30yrds(my normal bow limit on deer) and I was impressed. for a "cheapo" its a tack driver. give me 2 weeks of trigger practice and this thing will be deadly. lol

I know a lot of people have bad feelings about the crossbows but I never have. same as a 308 in shotgun season. imo most bitch about people taking stupid long shots and im not that type. with the bow I self limited to 30yrds but could shoot much farther than that on targets. I have always felt bows were "under gunning" for deer so I kept shots close in for less error. im also a heavy arrows guy so this crossbow is going up 100grn next season. 400gr is on the light end, imo.

would appreciate any tips you seasoned crossbow guys can share.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm starting to have shoulder issues too. Rotator cuff, I think. I may have to get a crossbow also. Thanks for the tip on Dunhams. My feelings on crossbow.. if the state says it's legal... it's legal. Sorry I don't have any tips or experience with crossbows.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The accuracy potential of modern crossbows, even some of the cheaper ones, is outstanding. They are also much easier to shoot, so a hunter can more easily take advantage of that accuracy and power. They are a better tool for harvesting game, and If you are restricted to archery equipment due to seasonal or space limitations there is nothing better.

My first deer with my Barnett (350fps) went through the does shoulder, broke a rib on the far side, pushed a 3/4 inch piece of rib into the meat of the far side leg before exiting and burying itself into the ground up to the fletching at 35 yards... and Its not a particularly powerful crossbow. it would still easily pass though, even striking bone, at 50 yards.

Several makers now offer crossbows that shoot 100fps faster than that OR MORE, and are so accurate that you will regularly destroy arrows if you try to target practice too close - I think Ravin Crossbows guarantees a 3 inch group at 100 yards with their 450fps model, includes speed compensated scopes in their packages that have holdovers to 100 yards, and sell an adjustable MOA compensated riser rail to get you out to 200 yards with accuracy.

I'm not shilling for Ravin, and obviously those kinds of distances are far outside of ethical hunting ranges for several other reasons beyond accuracy such as wind drift, string noise, and time in flight still being far too high to make reliable ethical shots in the field, BUT it does demonstrate the sort of mechanical accuracy modern crossbows are capable of.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im very pleased with the performance. bummed about the ruined arrows tho. lol blew threw both deer. one never found the other buried the entire head into tree on far side. both the muzzy and the shaft were toast. lol nothing wrong with more power when it comes to ethical killing though.

it does have its draw backs. heavy and cant hold out as long as bow on draw. side limbs take getting used to. and the pistol grip digs in my back, packing it in and out. scope mite get replaced too. over all im pleased with it.

·
Administrator
3,974 Posts
Rotator cuff issues did me in long ago with the vertical bows. Crossbow keeps me in the game.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Switched 2 years ago, I don't miss having to draw back and sometimes hold at full draw, just easier with a crossbow. Still waiting for my first deer with it though.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
poked a buck with it couple days before gun season. after gun season around here they get thinned out bad so. I could have shot him 2 other times but was holding out for the one my boy got on opening of gun. was sure glad he got it though.
anyhow the xbow sure did the job! blasted rt threw and off into the stratosphere. I need to get a bunch of bolts now for next year. mite have to pick my shots for a backstop too. lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
My problem with crossguns is that they are forced down our throats by wanna-be game manager politicians with no wildlife educations, just big greased pockets for crossgun lobbyist coin. They are never promoted by state game departments. The entire reason long archery seasons were implemented is exploited and everyone suffers because it degrades buck quality. Plain and simple. I have no problem with crossguns in the firearm seasons. I am 61 y/o and have two damaged rotator cuffs hanging on by a thread. I’m fine with xguns for legitimate handicapped and expect to be one some day. But in the meantime continue hunting with my vertical bow as long as able. Actually could not draw it for most of last year 9 months. But latest injury healed just in time for bow season. I am glad the OP created this post because some day I will likely need to shop for one of these and I need to educate myself on products.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
One nice thing about X bow, one can be used by multiple family members.

One bad thing about X bow, one can be used by multiple family members.

Talked to some bow shops, 50% of their sales X bow, a yr ago. Has dang near killed vertical bow sales in some places. Many of the X bows are import. The lower cost, and many of them sold by chain stores........has hurt the local pro shops.

Of course an internet economy and this covid stuff has hurt a lot of brick and mortar shops.

Yup, there are some good things with an X bow, but nothing is ever free. The costs.......may be more than expected.

I have a kid w health issues, the only way she could hunt is w X bow. I myself am falling apart, have injuries, and am fighting it. Dunno if I'll go X bow in a couple yrs or just quit bowhunting.
Like gun season fine, and my spot isn't very good (compared to my old spot).

Have not fired an arrow or bullet yet this season.

Not worth investing in more gear (for me).

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The lighter and cheaper Mission is what I have been looking at.
Still not cheap.
Would need a tripod and ground blind too. Kid had shoulder work done, so climbing a ladder or even rope cocking an X bow.............rather not.
Ground blind, I can be with and set up for them.
Kid.........is 22 LOL.
If she wants one, I'll buy it.

Spending more time w friends and family, and or just being outside..........how is that a bad thing?

Me? I like wheels n sights, and recurves. Years ago messed w X bow (PSE Foxfire). Never got me wound up. Buddy bought one, for groundhogging. Kinda fun.

I'm more of an archer than deer hunter, so am more gear focused. That means no to the X bow.
But I've shot bows for 40 plus yrs.

My kid or even the ol lady.........if they want to hunt deer w an X bow, more power to em.
Will set em up w some good stuff.

Personally, I don't want one. And am content to accept changes in what I can and can't do.
Get a lesser # recurve? Go back to compound w sights/release? Or quit?
I don't see any of those choices as a big deal.

Just is what it is.

Would be kinda nice to have other family members fill my freezer ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Started shooting in the 60's. with a recurve, then came compounds, not long after that along came x-bows. People throw there vertical bows down like they were on fire. As for me, I would not have one up my nose, if I had room for a locomotive. If people want to use one, that is ok, with me. I, feel it is like this. When I was younger, I rode motorcycles. Well, This group, looked down on this group, because of the type of motorcycle they rode. You see, it does not matter what kind of a bow we shoot, we are all doing the same thing. Please, do not look down on some one if he/she shoots a differnt bow. We all are on the same team. One more thing, please. If you are looking to get a x-bow. They have been around for a long time. There are a lot of good bows out there, that shoot just fine. Makes me wonder, are the new ones, trying to reinvent the wheel? Happy hunting

·
Registered
27 Posts
I do look down on greased self-proclaimed game manager politicians who circumvent legitimate professional game managers at DNR’s. That is the problem I got with crossguns.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I do look down on greased self-proclaimed game manager politicians who circumvent legitimate professional game managers at DNR's. That is the problem I got with crossguns.
I do not see what x-bow have to do with game managers. Will you please, explain. Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
one3, It's extremely simple. Long legitimate archery seasons were implemented by real game managers decades ago in virtually all states in order to provide more opportunity for hunters using weapons that inherently have a low success rate. Gun seasons have always been lower due to the much higher success rate. But you know 99% of politicians sole purpose in life is exploiting resources for their own personal gain. And the governing bodies of each state carry more power than the wildlife agencies they preside over. So when a lobby group like the crossgun industry stuffs enough money in the pockets of a few legislators to sponsor their bill, they circumvent the state DNR's. Often it only takes one corrupt legislator as has happened in Kansas & Arizona. The legislation in Kansas passed, but I personally slammed the door on AZ HB2072 in 2012 that would have hosed taxpayers out of over $20 million in public tags. All the DNR's can do is sit back and take orders from the state government. Their hands are completely tied to make any MAJOR wildlife management decisions. They can only make small ones, and follow orders.

Follow the money. Look at Indiana's public deer quality. It sucks due to lots of money influencing the management. Now look at Indiana's turkey management. Very conservative and outstanding public land quality due to no lobby group interest in bribing legislators. There's just not enough money to make exploiting that resource. It's for this reason I love turkey hunting public land in Indiana, but refuse to waste a single day deer hunting here. It's OK for does & dinks, but that's not what I hunt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Zim, I live in Ohio. Ohio was one of the few states to leigalize x-bows, way back in the 70's. Now that you pointed that out, ok now. Isn't that the way of every thing, money talks. I, am at the point now, I do not trust any polition, none. If we can not trust the people who run this country, so every one that votes, can have pice of mind that any election was a good one. Who do we trust. Look at the way muzzle loaders are going. OK, you load the bullet from the muzzle. Why do we have such liberal bag limits. I, think the Ins. coumpany's have some thing to do with that. I, have yet to see where the most deer/ car crashes happen. counter or town/city limets where you can not hunt them. Yes, I do feel your pain.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Personally I don’t see why insurance companies would care about deer collisions much. Their customers pay for all the claims in the end regardless. The costs are just passed on.

Crossguns in Ohio predate my time so I don’t know the history back then. I suppose it could have been feedback from some DNR survey that far back. No question the more recent pushes in Wisconsin, Illinois & Indiana were corrupt politician driven.

·
Registered
25 Posts
New York lealelized then a copple years ago. No, I do not like them either. Like the old saying, Money talks, the rest walks. I belive all we have to day is corrupt politians.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
Coming to you live from the stand. 51 degrees this morning, awesome morning, bit warm for Xmas eve. Still have tags hopefully get an opportunity. Got the 22 in the jeep, will probably try and thin the squirrel herd here after I climb down

1 - 19 of 19 Posts