close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Brookville 9/7/5

Discussion in 'Southeast Indiana Fishing Reports' started by Slowretrieve, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Fished Brookville from 2:30 P.M. to nighfall. Lots of dead and dying stripers ranging in size from about a pound to twelve pounds. They suffered an awful death, flopping about at the top of the lake like they were actually trying to get out of the water. I probably saw thirty fish either dead or dying, especially at the dam. What a sad sight!

2. Any idea what's killing them?

3. Not yet. There is something called red sore disease that is common on Indiana waters in the spring and fall, but I don't think it usually kills fish. I contacted a DNR biologist about it but have not heard back. I don't know if they actually report back their findings, but I am assuming they are looking into it. If I hear anything I will post it.

4. Any Musky? Anyone here actually ever catch a Musky in Brookville? I know their there, just never hear squat about it.

5. You know, I have never seen a musky at Brookville. However, if I remember correctly, late in the twentieth century the state record tiger musky came out of Brookville. The lake is Indiana's only "dump lake." All of the state's walleye come from fish captured and milked out of Brookville. The other fish like musky, pearch and the like that are purchased or traded from other states are allocated to the Indiana lakes, but whenever there are a few thousand extras, they are dumped into Brookville. I remember reading a report from Fishhead--don't remember where I read it, but when I find it I will put in a link--when he was fishing bass on Brookville and he said the guys in his boat saw a musky in the shallows of the Templeton Inlet that was probably 48 inches or more. They watched it for a long time, then it swam off when they started chumking bass lures at it. I'm sure they're in there but I never caught one. Of course, a lot of folks talk about the great crappie fishing on that lake and I'm not too sure I ever caught one of those at Brookville either. Mostly I catch walleye, white bass and stripers.

6. Brookville is stocked with Natural Musky, not the Tigers with most of the fish getting stocked coming from Webster broodstock. Its gotten a ton of fish over the years and did hold the state record for a natural for quite a few years until people started catching them on Tippecanoe(actually James which is sometimes called Little Tippy). Not sure it ever got tigers, but through the 80's to the present its gotten a lot of naturals.

7. crappie

Slowretrieve, you talked about not catching any crappie on brookville. I have and my grandpa usally catch crappie on the lake every year in the spring mostly. Seems like it comes and goes though. We use a 10ft jig pole and go around trees and stumps in the coves like wolf creek. It's usually about 7-12 feet of water. It's weird though because some years are better than other. I don't know though, after going to florida every year and fishing for crappie no year is good compared to a day on kissimmee where we go out and catch around 50 in 4 hours. Anyway, just though i would let you know and maybe get you to catch a crappie;)

8. Thanks, Lovehunting. In the spring I may give that a try once more. When I fish Brookville I usually catch a lot of white bass. A lot of people don't know it but you can only keep 12 of them, but you can catch all you want and Brookville has the most and the largest in the state. But they come and go. '03 and '04 were fantastic years for whites, but '05 they just disappeared for the most part. I usually can get smallmouths, cats, walleye and stripers on the 'Ville, unless it is like it is now and the water is so clear you can see your lure swimming around twenty down. Years ago when I fish large mouths, I caught them pretty regularly over there. But rarely do I get crappie. I love fishing for crappie, and when I get a yen to do so, I head for Monroe. Now that is a crappie lake. I've heard Patoka is good, too, but that's too far for me to drive, and I never have great luck fishing Patoka. You ever fish crappie at Monroe? Twice now I've pulled up crappies in the spring that looked like those Southern monsters in the ice chests at the Boat, Sport and Travel Show in February.

9. Thanks, Kevin. I knew that lake had a musky record of some kind and had held it for years. I think that was in the late 80's or early 90's of the last century. Man! that sounds wierd to say! I don't fish musky and could probably look it up, but it is just as easy to ask you--what is a tiger musky?

10. crappie

No, I've never fished Monroe. Don't get a lot of time to do much of anything going to Purdue and all. I would like to get around more to some of the other lakes, but for now its Brookville. And of course Kissimmee, FL during spring break!

11. Tiger Musky is what you get when a Male Pike and Female Musky spawn together. Very rare when it happens naturally in the wild, Lac Viex Desert in northern wisconsin/up mich being one of the best places to catch one. IL and IN used fish that were spawned basically in a lab artificially mating the two species. The Tiger's are sterile and cannot spawn successfully though they do go through the motions... Natural Musky in Indiana do not successfully spawn in the wild, thus the Webster nettings every spring to get milt and eggs...Something to do with the make up of the water in Indiana.. Too much Silt in spawning areas I think..

12. Thanks for the feedback, Kevin. I wondered about tiger muskies. They are a lot like wipers which are a mix of white bass and striped bass. And like the tiger musky they rarely reporduce naturally: they are always angry, maybe because of their sexual misfortunes. Wonderful fish to catch.

13. The Answer

I received a note from a DNR wildlife biologist about the dead stripers at Brookville. I am told that it is a normal occurance. Apparently, when striper lakes go a long while without fresh water, they tend to stratify and oxygen becomes scarce. Stripers are oxygen sensative. In the case of Brookville, there has not been enough rain this year to get the lake above summer pool, and if there are some unlucky stripers that stumble into an area of low oxygen, they get disoriented and essentially suffocate. That, I am told, is why the only fish dead on the lake are stripers; others are more oxygen tolerant. Now we know.

14. I met my wife in Brookville and vowed never to go back.