close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

buck scores

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by buckhead, Sep 19, 2006.

1. how do you feel about the scoring system
    personally i think the deer should get credit for gross not net with inside spread

2. Buckmasters

That is the best scoring system going "Full Credit". I have always said that, if he grew it he should get credit for it. Thats just how I feel though.

3. The scoring system is man made, and we all want everything to be perfect. That is why the deductions. Buckmasters includes all the bone to the score, no deductions because that is how the deer grew it. Buckmasters does not measure air, which is what the inside spread is on the other scoring system.

4. I thought somewhat like you guys do until I went to the Boone & Crockett training session and learned the philosophy behind the measurement criteria.

Teddy Rosevelt and his group formed the Boone & Crockett Club in the late 1880's (I think 1887) to preserve America's "vanishing" big game. Imagine, they felt the same way in 1887 as Aldo Leopold did in 1948 (A Sand County Almanac) and as we do today about habitat loss. Anyway, the Boone & Crockett scoring system was devised as a way to measure the optimum representation of each big game animal in North America. The reason for this is that the founders felt that the big game animals of North America would soon be extinct due to the expansion out west and habitat loss. They were so convinced of this, that they wanted a museum to put representations of each animal in. In fact, the first display of North American trophies was in the Bronx Zoo under a title called "America's Vanishing Big Game". Furthermore, they wanted a recorded history of the animals that once walked this continent, so future generations would have an idea of what each big game animal looked like. Thus the record book was born. Now to be able to record them, they needed a system to do so. The system in place today is a product of that first recording system, the last change was made in 1951. So when you look at the system, please realize that the B & C club was trying to find and record the best representations of each big game animal for future people who might not realize what a whitetail deer even looked like. For that reason they didn't want people to think a drop tined buck was common or one with a split main beam, etc. Now they did realize some strange growth was "normal" so they formed the non-typical categories for some big game animals.

The one thing I learned in this class was that B & C is all about conservation (not preservation) and recording animals for future generations to learn about them. B & C and its scoring system was not developed to form a pecking order or bragging right for any hunter.

Difference between conservation and preservation: Preservation is about leaving things as they are and letting nature take its course. Conservation is about actively managing habitat to improve it. Many anti hunters are preservationists and want a hands off approach. Many conservationists are hands on and realize that America's big game are a renewable resource and can be utilized by man.

5. Thanks Scott

Dog-gone-it, you snuck something into a thread that was educational. Where's the mindless banter? Where's the jokes?....oh, Dean hasn't read this thread yet, never mind.

6. Cool Scott, thanks for the info!!! :bowdown:

7. NETS are for fish. If he grows it he gets it. I think thats only fair. Why should we be the ones that judge a buck because he wasnt perfect. Hell he did the hard work and survived the rut how many times and out smarted us how many times. Then when we finally win once after he has won so many times we discredit him because one side was thicker than the other or because a tine got broke off when he was teaching some smaller deer what the pecking order was. If he grows he gets it.

8. Great info, Scott!

9. If people are truely sincere when they say that taking a mature buck is the reward rather than it making a certain minimum, then the measurements don't matter. The purpose of the B&C system is to compare that individual animal against the standards of his breed, much like an animal at the 4-H fair. My participation hogs always tasted just as good as a first place one:)

10. Scott, ever get a fork into one of those 4H Goats?

11. i have to agree with this statement

12. thanks for the post scott ,very informative.

13. I knew Werstler would chime in on this after I read the beginning post. I'm like Scott, I'm a huge fan of Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, etc. The problem I have with Buckmasters isn't that they measure everything, it's that in recent years they have a "composite score". If the inside spread is "only thin air" then why even have a "composite score"?? For those of you who don't know about this, the "Composite Score" of Buckmasters is the score the buck would get IF they also added in the inside spread. But, one of the main reasons that Buckmasters came to be was that it's founders didn't think an inside spread should count seeing that it wasn't a bone measurement. I also find it odd that Buckmasters even wastes time in measuring an inside spread at all.

No, I'm not against Buckmasters in the least, but keep in mind that the Boone and Crockett scoring system as we know it was refined way back in 1951. Only recently have people suddenly had a problem with it. What some percieve as the problem with the "traditional" scoring systems rests on this example. Let's say you have a clean odd numbered typical buck (I.E. a 9 Pointer). Obviously the buck's G-4 doesn't have a match on the opposite side. So, there is nothing to measure it against. Sure, it seems unfair, but when the B&C system was conceived long ago, this is the route they chose to take.

Should this 9 pointer score equal to a nearly identical 10-Pointer??? Would it be fair??

With all this said, Who really cares what a buck scores anyways??? To me, it's just for fun. It's like having the cake, and then getting frosting on it to. I've heard stories of people being irrate that their buck didn't score a certain amount, and also heard horror stories of people trying to buy some more inches so their buck made a certain score. Worrying exactly what a buck scores is for people like this who don't have a clue what hunting is all about. Focusing more on the awesome experience of the hunt for a big buck should far outway any damn numerical score. This is just my opinion.....

My friend, Sam Collora, shot the highest gross scoring archery Typical whitetail of all-time back in 1996. To this day, you won't find Sam's buck mentioned in the Iowa State Record book. Why?? Because Sam is more interested in the awesome experience he had in harvesting such an awesome creature than getting his name is some book. He's been offered big money for this rack too, but will never, ever sell it.

I guess this proves that 'ol Sam isn't an antler worshipper after all, huh???:bonk:

14. I'm impressed with that answer dean i would have to agree that the experience of the hunt should be your trophy but if i'm scoring this for my personal satisfaction because Iwould never enter into b&c books I would tell the gross score because he grew and i have it my personal beliefs

15. I know nothing about the origin of the Buckmaster's system, but I have always been turned off by it. To me it screams a huge case of sour grapes. Someone had a nice deer and it wasn't matched perfectly and they chose to cry about it and make up their own system so it fit better. I am probably wrong, but that is the impression I have of the Buckmaster system.

Hey I think a football team should score points for each first down it gets in addition to touchdowns since it is more of a sign of domination than getting beat by a few fluke big plays. That said, I still follow the rules outlined by the league and deal with how they score the game.

I am also confused with all the categories, regular, irregular, semi-irregular, what goes where?