close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bucks and Kids

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by QuailDancer, Oct 20, 2005.

1. On a spur of the moment yesterday, I took off work early, met the kids getting off the school bus, grabbed snacks and drinks and headed up to a place I have a blind set up. I set up two decoys quick and we all huddled into the blind.
    Snacks ran out, one daughter started to get chilled and bored. Then the first buck walked out, then another and another after that. All three bucks were small, but all headed straight past us and towards the decoys. Didn't take any shots, they were just too small, but those deer were all the girls could talk about last night and this morning.

2. good times

I remember one time when I was about 10 (10 years ago) it was my first year bow hunting and 3 of the most beautiful bucks I've ever seen walked about 25 yards from me through the woods. My dad had seen them too because they had went by his stand earlier they were just too far to shoot. I remember looking up and seeing them and then all I did was shake for the next 2 hours. It was an unbelievable experience. My dad said my eyes were so big when we met up later he thought my they were going to pop out of my head. haha. Now I would kill to have that scenario now. But you're right, when kids see bucks it's just exciting. My brother is the same way and he's 14.

3. You are the way a hunter parent should be. Making memories with the kids, teaching them ethics and putting food on the table when justified. Congrats for passing the parenting test.

MIDH

4. Great story QuailDancer

Was your decoy a buck or doe? How did the bucks respond? Did they show any aggression?

Just curious cause I thought of setting up a decoy this weekend, but not sure if it was a little early yet for the buck decoy or not.

Thanks
    Jon

5. Good questions.
    I wondered if it was too early as well. I've never shot bow from the blind, and wanted to be sure I could lure deer within at least 20 yds. They say shooting through the mesh windows doesn't effect arrow flight, but...I still want a short, certain shot and not a gamble.
    The bucks were in a bach. group; 2 basket racked little 6 points and a spike.
    The decoys I used are the Renzo photo image type. I used a doe that I set up as "bedded", and stood a buck decoy about 15 feet behind her. I'm not sure what decoy caught the attention of the deer, clearly the buck would have been more visable, but the group just slowly walked right up to them. Wind was certainly in my favor last night. No sign the bucks were spooked at all.
    The nice thing about the photo image decoys is that they are light, I just keep the two folded up and in my trunk all the time. Fast to set up, spray 'em with a little carbon spray, and you're good to go. I didn't use a deer scent.

6. Thanks QD...I've been looking at the Renzo's. Right now I have a 3D decoy, and it's a pain hauling that thing in/out of the field all the time. I've heard good thing about the Renzo's.

I'm still not sure how I'm going to approach the weekend. I saw a nice buck at the end of last evening, but think it's a little too early to get really aggressive with rattling antlers and grunt tube. Still pondering this one!:dizzy: