close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Build Along Time!!!

Discussion in 'Indiana Outdoor News' started by trdtnlbwhntr, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Alright ladies and gentleman. Im gonna attempt a first time thing here on this site. Ive seen it done numerous times on other sites and figure this one needs it too so Im doing a build along. This exact build along is on another site and its where im getting my idea so lets hope it works. The goal here is to take enough pictures of the steps to make a back quiver and give enough insite on how i learned to do it that way you guys can attempt it as well. Ive never made one like this before and each step will be a learning process just as it will for you guys as well. I hope this works out and if it doesnt well then we will need another build along on what to do with all the extra junk you have left over from the project.
    The Project---- Basket style Backquiver (worn mostly by the woodlands indian tribes because of ease of use and materials were readily available)
    Materials---- Different sizes and shapes of chinese cane they come in 1 pound spools and there is more than enough for one quiver maybe two.
    a.)#1 round reed
    b.)1/4" flat reed
    c.)3/4" flat reed
    d.)3/8" flat oval reed (this will be uprights for the quiver)
    e.) chair cane between fine and medium size should be sufficient
    f.) *basket tree dye
    *not necessary but it will ad a little color to this thing and dull the plain bamboo color up a bit.
    g.) some type of strap material.

So now that we have the list of materials im gonna get started and ill be back later to show the steps. This might take a while so bear with me..

2. I'm in. Where do we buy the materials from?

3. to find the materials go to yahoo and type in basketry supplies... or basket making supplies. There is a place called arnies in michigan great prices and very informative people to work with.

4. here is a little teaser of the first attempt... Not the best but tomorrow is a new day and a new quiver... see you all tomorrow....

[​IMG]

5. Those arrows are too pretty to shoot!

I like the custom fletching. I've thought about trying it myself. Cool stuff!

6. Alright so lets get this project started.
    Firt thing to do is set up your project stand. I picked up a deck rail at home depot and a three foot section of 3" PVC pipe. THe pvc pipe only comes in 10 foot sections so it might take some finageling to get them to sell you a 3ft piece. Then i stopped by Staple and picked up a bag of medium sized rubber bands.
    [​IMG]

To make the rail into a bracket i took a seven inch section and cut it off that will be the base of the base. Then i took the remaining section and cut one end off at a 45 degree angle. Screw the two of them together and you have your stand. A C clamp and a little protection so you dont scuff up mommas table and you have a stand. Slide the pvc pipe over it, put a couple rubber bands around it and you are ready for the next step.
    [​IMG]

Once you have that made up its time to decide what length you want your quiver to be. I am making one for my dad so the length of the quiver will be 25.5" long giving the tops of his arrows 6.5 inches to stick out the top of the quiver. With 5.5" feathers that should be plenty of room so that the feathers arent rubbing against the top of the quiver. IN order to make a quiver that is that long you will need ten 51" lengths of the half oval material and one 25.5 length of the same material. The reason for the extra piece is to ensure you have an odd amount of uprights to weave around. Once you have those cut start a tub of hot water. Once its good and hot dump the oval piecs you just cut in and let them soak for 10-15 minutes you cant over soak them but you can under soak them SO DONT RUSH THIS PART.
    Now you will need to decide what the bottom material on your quiver will be. ON this one i used the chair cane on the one i am making today i used the #1 round. To me the #1 round is sturdier and holds the bottom in a tighter cone shape. Either way toss a bunch of whatever material you think you want to use in the tub. Its gotta soak too. We will alternate going up the quiver with different width reed so based on whatever pattern you want your quiver to have, toss in the amount of each of the other materials you think you will need. Its best too do too much rather than not enough. If you decide not to use the round reed you still need to throw in about three of the long strands so that we can finish the top of the quiver when we get to it.
    [​IMG]
    Alright everything is soaking in the hot water its time to decide which colors you want your quiver to be. I made this quiver to look like a techna colored dream coat for some reason, but you can tone it to whatever you want. REMEMBER THIS IS THE FIRST ONE OF THESE I HAVE EVER MADE THE SECOND ONE IS ON THE FORM NOW AND I HAVE LEARNED A LOT JUST BY DOING THE SECOND ONE VERSE THE FIRST. Alright youve decided your colors and which pieces you want what color. FOllow the directions on the back of the dye packets to get the colors you want. I used an electric tea kettle to heat the water to a boil then mixed up my colors. My biggest problem on the step was that i didnt use big enough bowls (use bowls that momma doesnt mind getting stained or find yourself some buckets somewhere. clean buckets the second time i used a boiling pot from our old pan collection and did each color seperately then left the ones i had already stained in a sink full of hot water. Dont put two colors together they will bleed a little bit) Let the reed soak in each of those colors for about ten minutes or so and the should be dyed. If you cover the bowls it keeps the water warmer longer and the color sets in a lot better.[​IMG]

Alright all the materials are ready and still soaking in the tub... IN order to do this you only need to take out one strand of each at a time. Dont bring the whole bundle out or they will dry out and crack on you before you get a chance to use them.

7. To start out we need to get the half oval material out of the tub you can grab all of this at once as there isnt much we are going to do with it. Measure out to the center of the reed and then mark about 3 inches on either side of the center. Now very carefully (and very slowly take your time or your gonna be pissin and moaning cause youve cut one of them in half and you have to get another 51 incher out and soaking.) Very carefully trim the flat side down to about half the thickness that it started out to be.
    [​IMG]
    This allows you room to bend it in the middle and create a point that will make the cone shape at the bottom of your quiver.
    [​IMG]
    With that piece trimmed fit it on your form so that the bent sections fits on top of the form. IF you pull it down too far youll know and if you leave it up too far youll know just from looking at it. Secure it in place with the rubber bands and do the same for the other four pieces of 51 inches. Once you have them all secured and evenly spaced creating a cone grab the extra section and slide it in the rubber bands joing the tip of the cone at the top to look something like this.
    [​IMG]
    Alright we are done with the half oval and ill bet you have a couple of them laying around that you cut in half.. I know i did.
    Alright ill be back later to start the weaving.

8. I noticed dec mentioned something about splicing feathers or making arrows i can do a tutorial on that after i get this one done if there is any interest in seeing that process.

9. Do the fletching one sometime if you don't mind. I fletch all my own arrows and have often thought about attempting the spliced feather look. Cutting them all in the same place looks like would be the hardest part.

10. full length my friend full length then they are all the same height... its really easy that one in a week stay tuned.

11. Great thread you've started here, Dustin.

12. alright just before we get started with the actual weaving thing.. remember pulling it snug on the form i good... but getting the damn thing off the form is a pain in the arse... :banghead3 :banghead3 :banghead3

13. still trying to get it off the form... i think i might have a quiver lined with pvc its starting to get the better of me and my temper... :coco:

14. Alright its time to get started on the cone shape of the quiver...
    Youll notice that there are certain points higher than the others obviously so it takes some picking and choosing where you want to start. My recommendation is to do the ones you can get to and eventually weave the others in as you go down. For example there might be four uprights that are easy to weave and then a little further down a gap opens where you can weave another in. Dont try to do all eleven uprights on the first weave. You will get an uneven cone. I tried this on the first one and got a bad looking cone on the second one i exercised a little creativity and only did the ones i could get to as they came to me and the cone turned out awesome. This may mean that you are weaving an even number and the pattern repeats itself but thats alright it will work itself out as you go and get access to more uprights. Just keep the over under pattern going till you run out of reed. At the end of the reed try go under two or three of the uprights and that should pin it down. When you start your new reed go back three or four uprights into your pattern and weave directly over the top of the previous reed(the one that just ran out) IF you are using the round reed just go up next to the previous pattern and keep it tight. You want both tag ends to sit under the uprights. This keeps the outside of the quiver looking smooth. When you feel you have gone far enough up the cone or it fits your pattern that you have layed out then trim the excess and tuck it in like you did the first one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alright the cone is done and fairl strong... now its time to transition into something else probably a little wider material. YOu have to taper the end of the new material if its wider than the material next to it. This will make for a smooth transition. If you are transistioning into a thinner material then taper the end of the wider material as it runs out. The longer the taper the smoother the transition.. Dont just hack it off at a 45 and call it even. IT will look ugly and be harder than hell to make the new material fit the pattern.
    [​IMG]

Alright you have all the required info to get all the way up to the top of your quiver. Make it tight but not too damn tight cause im still trying to get this thing off the form. The first one i didnt make tight enough cause it just came right off the form. IT held its shape but its not very sturdy... Ill get back to you to finish the top of your quiver once i figure out how to get this thing off. The top is a bit tricky but with some thinking im sure you can figure it out.

15. suprise suprise its off the form.. A little bit (actually a bunch) of vegetable oil a little time for it to soak in and some elbow grease and vwalla its off the form now i gotta rinse the oil off it and let it dry a bit and its back to work to finish it up and ill be back in a few