close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Call shy birds

Discussion in 'Indiana Turkey Hunting' started by LoveHunting, Mar 24, 2006.

1. What's everyone's theory on call shy birds? Do you think there is a such thing? I used to think there were, but after last season I don't know. They still seem to come to calls, they just don't tell you they're coming. Also, how do you deal with birds like this...I know you guys who hunt public ground have dealt with some form of a bird like this.

2. Personally, I think there is something such as a call shy bird. The same reason that I believe deer can become call shy. Calls are over used by the general public!! When you have a massive fluctuation of hunters in the spring (turkey) and in the fall (deer) who are using multiple calls in a short amount of time, it begins to sound un-natural. Especially when you have been shot at a couple of times!!

Don't get me wrong, I still think calls can be utilized very effectively during these time of the year if used properly.

3. FireLt72

FireLt72 Staff Member Mod

It is like Pavlovs dog, every time a bell rings he was fed. So when he heard the bell, he would start salivating. Turkey do the same thing, but the key/trick is to fight the urge to call like crazy. I heard Alex Rutledge say they were hunting someplace and a guy thought that they were a turkey and was just burning up that slate call, he was going at it and you could see his smoke signals. Sometimes less is better.

4. calls

Many days, I go to the turkey woods and never call. I think it depends on where you are in the season. What the birds are doing. Has scouting confirmed the Toms are henned up? Are they searching for hens? Is it over? I do believe that calling in most situations will hurt you more than help you. [​IMG]

5. My father always told me "You have two ears and one mouth for a reason". So being a diaphram user I listen more than I talk. If the birds are doing a lot of talking I will talk more. If the woods is relatively quiet I will be quiet also for the most part. I think mastering soft calls is the key to turkey hunting. The softer the cluck and the softer the purr and yelp will kill you more turkeys than anything. You may think the birds cannot hear you if your soft calling, but trust me they can! The worst thing you can do is go into a setup and start banging away on box call or a slate. Listen to what the woods is telling you, and then go from there!!

6. call shy birds are tough to hunt. it takes a lot of patience. their usually older birds or pressured birds or have been spooked and related to accessive calling. the best thing to do i think is turn into an old time caller. call very sparingly. a couple times just to let him know your there. i know guys who hunt pressured birds and they just sit and do nothing but putt every once in a great while. i hunt a swamp sometimes when i can't get anything going that always holds a couple birds but i always have to really slow it way down because it's thick and 90% of the time they will be silent. it can be done but also frustrating if your not used to sitting for turkeys alot. act like you deer hunting and always..............................always call soft and sparingly.

7. Scrapewatcher is correct in his advice...patience is the key. I have a spot that I've turkey hunted since 1999, and the birds in this spot NEVER answer my calls. I can't get them to answer locator calls or turkey calls. Don't get me wrong, I have heard plenty of turkeys out there, but they just refuse to answer my calls. They DO hear these calls though. I set up out there last year and called every fifteen minutes for about an hour and a half. I finally got frustrated and decided to go home. I stood up, and not forty yards away, there was a big tom standing on top of a log looking right at me! I was shielded from the bird by a small rise. If I had been patient for another half-hour, that bird would have come in. All of the birds out there have always come in silent, and although it may not be the excitement you hope to see, it can be productive if you have a great deal of patience.