Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

Camping and Fishing

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  BOWn Hunter 
#1 ·
Does anybody know any state parks or other lakes that would have good, clean, and uncrowned primative campgrounds and good accessible shoreline fishing or kayak fishing? I would like the lake to be mostly idle speed if possible. Anybody got a place?

#2 ·
You can look up rockville lake. It's a county owned campground but has some nice primitive sites. Small electric motor only lake. Weekends get busy but if you could plan a trip during the week you could probably have an area to camp by yourself. It's in parke county

#3 ·
You can look up rockville lake. It's a county owned campground but has some nice primitive sites. Small electric motor only lake. Weekends get busy but if you could plan a trip during the week you could probably have an area to camp by yourself. It's in parke county
I will have to take a look at that. I went to Raccoon one weekend and there was just too much wake for it to be productive. I'll take a look at Rockville though. I'm also thinking about backpacking in the Hoosier National Forest. That is located on Lake Monroe, correct?
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows Phone 8.0; Trident/6.0; IEMobile/10.0; ARM; Touch; NOKIA; Lumia 521)

#4 ·
I will have to take a look at that. I went to Raccoon one weekend and there was just too much wake for it to be productive. I'll take a look at Rockville though. I'm also thinking about backpacking in the Hoosier National Forest. That is located on Lake Monroe, correct?
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows Phone 8.0; Trident/6.0; IEMobile/10.0; ARM; Touch; NOKIA; Lumia 521)
I think part of it is on Patoka Lake also.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

#5 ·
Oh wow. That makes for good fishing. I have to take a look but I will be planning for this trip well in advance due to the size of Hoosier National forest, but its probably the best place for me to backwoods camp with some of my buddies with little disturbance, as well as backpack, kayak, and fish. Thanks for the advice guys!

#7 ·
#8 ·
Although it is not primitive camping, Starve Hollow State Recreation Area in Jackson County has a very scenic campground with sites right on the water. The lake is about 150 acres in size, so it is trolling motor only. You can rent johnboats and oars at the lake. You can catch a lot of nice redear there. Later in summer if you're bass fishing you really have to go weedless on topwater because the weeds get really thick. The state dredged the lake a few years ago and it's not near as weed choked as it used to be. The state put electrical hookups in all the waterfront campsites so they could get more money out of them.

#9 ·
Check out Summit Lake State Park idle speed only on the lake and the campground is nice.. not sure on the tent camping tho. Also Westwood Park in New Castle is a nice park too.. trolling motor only and there is a trail all the way around the lake. Visitwestwood.com. those are 2 I can think of off the top of my head that you may like.

#10 ·
Shakamak State Park has a lot of woods for backbacking with trails also. It has three different lakes to fish all trolling motor only so little to no wake. As far as there camp sites go they don't have any (to my knowledge) that are right on the water but they have many to choose from for Camper/RV or tent camping!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.