Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

Camping - Fishing around Michigan City/Valpo

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  pigeonflier 
#1 ·
Going to try posting this here, since I haven't gotten any "bites" in the Northwest page. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Spin to Win

---------

Hey There. A myself and a buddy will be coming down from Michigan this coming weekend to try our hand at the creeks for some skams, and would like to camp out someplace. We'll probably be hitting all three creeks, but would like to stay a little closer to MI City or Valpo.

I've camped at the campground on 421, south of town, and don't want to stay there again. We're just bringing a tent, and paying $30+ to set up a tent isn't a good value to me. I've also stayed at the Dunes, and I believe that you can't drink beer there. WHAT?!!? No beer + Camping = Just sleeping outside. So, I don't really want to stay there either, unless that has changed.

So, does anybody have any recommendation on where we could just set up a tent, fish all day, then come back at night and chill out? I don't know how the laws in Indiana work, but in Michigan, you can usually camp on State land or Federal land unless otherwise noted. Are there any areas like this around MI City or Valpo where we could set up shop? Any advice would be much appreciated. I'll give a report on the fishing when we get back. Thanks in advance!!!

Spin to Win

See less See more
#2 ·
Between Michigan city, and Chesterton on hwy 12 is the national lake shore camp ground ran by the us forest service no reservations required and its only like 14 bucks a night...vault toilets, water pumps, no electric....real camping..that's all the info have on it....contact the national forest service for more info

#3 ·
Thanks Leo, I appreciate the information. I believe that I've camped at the Lakeshore sites before, and we may be going back. Might have to crack the cold ones quietly in the tent! I wish there was some state land we could just pull up on and throw up a tent at. Thanks again for the input.

#4 ·
Its probably not legal,, and I really have no idea if it is,, but if it were me,, I would just pitch a tent at Trail Creek right next to the water. Every year there is always somebody with a tent and fire at most of the public access spots threw Michigan City area. I would guess that as long as your peacefull and not making a mess,, nobody will bother you????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.