Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to contact DNR later today for confirmation on this but have been unable to find it in the reg books. Just curious if I'm legal to carry with my LTCH permit in archery season.

I'm not looking for opinions on whether or not you think there's boogiemen in the woods or how it will make it easier for guys to poach having a pistol in archery. A poacher is a poacher. I'll be coming out to a public pull off alone hours after dark in an area known for meth. I would like to have some peace of mind knowing I have some bit of protection if I come up to someone at my vehicle.

That said, is carrying a pistol with a permit legal in archery season?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It state's - While hunting, an individual may carry a handgun without a handgun license in accordance with Indiana code 35-47-2-1
Yeah I seen that, however that's a bit vague. I have a handgun license so that's not the issue, just wanted to know if you were allowed to be in possession of a firearm in archery season.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was told no by a CO. You cannot carry a gun during bow season. Self defense is no excuse. You cannot carry a firearm during firearm season that is not legal for hunting. I attempted this once and was stopped 10 feet from the car at Wilbur Wright. If you are deer hunting then all firearms and ammunition in your possession must be legal for the season. You cannot hunt deer and squirrel at the same time and carry a 22 for squirrel and a 44mag for deer at the same time even though both are in season, which is what I was doing. At least this is how it was 12 or 13 years ago when I got stopped. This also applies for bird hunting.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The IC says no permit required "while engaged in a legal hunting activity".

That's fairly general.

I remember when hunting/target shooting legally required a permit, and the gun be visible while in that activity (if having a "hunting and target" permit).
Most everybody just got the concealed carry then they were covered for anything.

Lawful shooters aint the problem...........and the state IMHO wisely got rid of the nonsense rule.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Note: some places allow hunting with a handgun, but no concealed carry, and may restrict allowance in certain areas within.

Mississinewa Reservoir is managed by the state, but it is Federal ground.
No CC there allowed. If hunting, best be signed in at a box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I plan to contact DNR later today for confirmation on this but have been unable to find it in the reg books. Just curious if I'm legal to carry with my LTCH permit in archery season. I'm not looking for opinions on whether or not you think there's boogiemen in the woods or how it will make it easier for guys to poach having a pistol in archery. A poacher is a poacher. I'll be coming out to a public pull off alone hours after dark in an area known for meth. I would like to have some peace of mind knowing I have some bit of protection if I come up to someone at my vehicle. That said, is carrying a pistol with a permit legal in archery season?
Brother I want to know the same for one 9mm ammo is cheaper than arrows and broad heads for coyote but here where I sound crazy. My dad was 6’4” 400# man. What I saw running up right made dad look small there I said it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts