close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Casting Reel Recommendation For BIG Pike

Discussion in 'Indiana Big Lake Fishing' started by Indy Archer, Mar 26, 2006.

1. I am in the market for a new reel - main reason is to get some beefier gear to fight some huge pike. Anyone have any favorite gear to recommend?

2. For big fish, dependable reel and fairly low cost....Abu Garcia 6500, can't beat 'em!

3. Indy.....I have an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur HPSS 4600C - Hank Parker Signature Series. I purchased it 2 years ago at Bass Pro Shops in Cincy. It came as a rod/reel combo. I paid like $89.00 or something like that for the combo. I used it last year in the Northwest Territory for "big pike". It has a 5.3:1 ratio and instant anti-reverse. It holds the following mono line: 10lbs/170yds, 12lbs/140yds, 14lbs/115yds. Obviously it will hold more of the smaller diameter braided line or whatever your preference is. I like it a lot and think it is a good real at a great price. As Quail said, you can't beat Abu Garcia for the prices.

treehugger

4. I have a couple of older Daiwa Procasters (5.2:1, 5BB, Infinite anti-reverse - not the same as the current Procaster 6+1) and an equally aged Shimano Curado. All of those are the lower profile design. I throw everything with those babies - Shad Raps, Zara Spooks, Jointed Believers, Spinners - you name it. I will take a look at those AG offerings - maybe one of those will be part of the gear that helps me pull in a 25+ lb fish....

5. Bass Pro Shops

SAVE Abu Garcia® Ambassadeur® C4 Reel and Extreme™ XPS™ Rod Combos

[​IMG][​IMG] [img]http://media.basspro.com/images/site/zoom.gif[/img] $174.94-$184.94 If Purchased Separately! Save $25

Reel features:
    • High-speed 6.3:1 gear ratio
    • 4 stainless steel bearings
    • Instant Anti-Reverse
    • Nonslip spool
    • Chemical nickel-coated levelwind system
    • 6-pin centrifugal brake
    • Carbon matrix drag
    Rod features:
    • 60 million modulus Powerwall graphite blank
    • 3K Carbon Cloth wrap
    • Full Contact reel seat with soft touch finish
    • Fuji® Hardloy® Concept guides
    Here you go Indy...this is in the 2006 BPS catalog. Let me know if you need me to send you the BPS e-mail I received....treehugger

6. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Indy, I've caught quite a few big Pike...after an initial run, they just start bulldogging....pumping hard. I've never had problems with any of my regular baitcasting reels handling them.

7. The Abu 6500 C3 is an awesome reel for the money. And it is a proven solid workhorse for pike and musky. Also, for around the same price I would actually recommend the Gander Mountain GS-66 first. It is really a Pflueger Trion 66 and is a little bit smoother than the Abu. If you palm your reels you will like the bait clicker in the way as it is on the Abu. Love my 6500c3's but the bait clickers will keep engaging and disengaging after a while if you palm the reel. And the Gander reel has the thumbar and not the side button. Try to stick with reels in the 4.7:1 to 5.3:1 ratio. The higher 6.3:1 ratios will burn out faster if your chuckin or burnin big baits. I used the Abu 6500 c3's for my musky set-ups and I am switching over to all GS-66's for this year. If you're going after 25lb. + fish then these reels will serve you well.