close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Catching Bluegills

Discussion in 'Indiana Pan Fishing' started by 410, May 4, 2006.

1. Well the warm weather is here or right around the corner and we will be out casting for my favorite fish to catch and eat the BLUGILL.:fish: :fish: :fish:
    Tell us you way of caughting bluegills. Yes tell all rod, reel, bait, tackle, YES TELL ALL YOUR SECRETS.
    I love to catch them will a fly rod with a sinking or floating fly, cane pole with worm or beemoths and to cast with a little beetle spin.:fish: :fish: :help: :help:

2. Favorite way to catch gills is on flyrod, always will be.
    2nd would be ultralite rod casting small tube jigs
    3rd favorite would be through a hole in the ice, vertical jigging.

Most productive and least favorite way, live baiting on slip bobbers....but
    There is one place, Old Lake in Whitley Co. that I will watch bobbers for gills all the time, becouse there are some true slabs there!!

3. I didn't think there was any other way than with a cricket on small hook with a split shot and the old red/white round bobber on the end of 4 lb. test line on an ultra light outfit....now that's fishin'!!! HOLD ON TIGHT, nothing like those big 'gills.

4. Fly rod with a spider or popper.

5. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Ditto the fly rod...got a nice 4 wt. just for gills....rubber spiders (white, green, black, brown, red) or wet flies (I like black ants)

6. tight line

I like to tight line a cricket with a split shot on an ultralight - 4lb line. Cast it, let it sink and BAM. Also get some catfish that way too. Although, I'm not against using the old "strike indicator".

7. hey ccavacini !! i was fishing with a friend yesterday and hey was using blckants. he only had a few left and said he couldn't find anymore. he said they were made by betts. do you know of a source? thanks!!

8. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Believe it or not I got mine at Meiers. I think WalMart might carry them also.

Cary

9. TREE that is the way i do to BUT some times I use an ICE fishing jig with a cricket on it ;) ;) ;)

10. If you need a new hobby...try tying a few for yourself. It truely isn't that expensive to get into (or at least doesn't have to be) and it's a lot of fun.

I hope to be sitting my girls down in front of a vise within the next few days. They've had some yard practice, and on trip to a local pond.

Something about catching them on a fly you tied yourself, makes it more rewarding...Bluegills are very forgiving and don't require the offerings of a skilled tyier!

11. Walmart does carry these.

12. Kids and I whipped up some bugs

I did it...came home from work today, rumaged a few goodies out of the fly tying boxes, and set the girls in front of a couple vises.

Each tied a couple wooly worms...look like bluegill bait to me!!

Now I need to get them on the water again.

13. Nightcrawler, hooked once or twice with no weight...with the nightcrawler rig you never know what you might hook into. Also, it works best for my kids...it's more fun watching and helping them than fishing myself.

14. Well friday was a day to remember, 174 gills all on worms and beemoths in 2 to 5 feet of water and most of the gills had eggs but are not on the beds yet. Again this time of years I have always caught him on worms and beemoths.

15. OK lets hear from someone who is catching gills? I know the weather is cold, rain and windy but there got to be someone catching gills, in our area it's been slow.