close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CCW in Indiana's National Parks

Discussion in 'Indiana Outdoor News' started by Old Ironsights, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Note that while we have "regianed" the Right to defend ourselves in State Parks, it is still a "Crime" to carry a firearm in a National Park. In places like Northern Indiana around Dunes State Park and the Indiana National Lakeshore this can be a real problem, since it's very easy to pass between the two.

It appears we have ONE MORE CHANCE to have the Department of the Interior tell the NPS to get off their high-horse and restore the Right of Self Defense to hikers, campers and general nature lovers who may stumble upon one of the many Pot grows, Meth labs and unsavory types who hide out in OUR Parks.

Instructions follow:

-----------------------------------

VCDL has just learned from our sources on Capitol Hill that the Department of the Interior (DOI) is **livid** over the National Park Service's (NPS) asinine rejection letter sent to VCDL concerning VCDL's Petition for Rule Making!

(http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/NPS_Denial_of_VCDL_PRM.pdf)

That petition would allow a law-abiding citizen to carry a handgun for self-defense in a National Park if the state in which the park is located allows such carry.

Apparently the National Park Service DID NOT CLEAR that rejection letter with their parent - the Department of the Interior!

The Department of Interior had been telling VCDL and key Congressional members that DOI would seriously consider VCDL's petition.

The ensuing NPS rejection letter made DOI look like fools and liars. DOI doesn't like that at all, and I don't blame them.

The word that I am hearing is that the Department of the Interior is investigating how to OVERTURN that rejection letter and soon!!!

We have an incredible opportunity to save TWO years of work and pull off a victory for all gun owners! But we must make our voices heard LOUD AND CLEAR.

I need all of you to do the following FOUR things NOW and URGENTLY no matter where you live, as this this is a NATIONAL effort:

1. CALL the DOI Legislative Affairs and leave a message for the Secretary of the Interior, Dirk Kempthorne.

Say something like this:

"I encourage Secretary Kempthorne to implement the Virginia Citizens Defense League's Petition for Rule Making that the National Park Service has rejected out-of-hand. Law-abiding citizens should be allowed to protect themselves and their families while visiting a National Park."

PLEASE MAKE THAT CALL - WE WANT DOI'S TELEPHONE LINE LIT UP BIG TIME!

Mr. Kempthorne's telephone number in Washington, DC is: 202-208-7351

2. Call your U.S. Senators and Congressman. Their names, phone numbers and email addresses can be found by clicking here and entering your zip and address:

http://capwiz.com/nra/officials/congress

Say something like this:

"Please have the Senator [Congressman] contact the Department of the Interior's Secretary, Dirk Kempthorne, and ask him to overturn the National Park Service's rejection of the Virginia Citizens Defense League's Petition for Rule Making. Law-abiding citizens should be allowed to carry a handgun to defend themselves while visiting a National Park if the state in which the park is located allows such carry!"

PLEASE MAKE THAT CALL - WE WANT CONGRESS' TELEPHONE LINES TO LIGHT UP AS BRIGHTLY AS DOI'S!

3. After calling your Senators and Congressman, follow up with an email.

Here is a sample email you can use:

Please ask the Department of the Interior's Secretary, Dirk Kempthorne, to overturn the National Park Service's arbitrary rejection of the Virginia Citizens Defense League's Petition for Rule Making and to implement that petition!

VCDL's Petition for Rule Making, representing over ONE MILLION gun owners, would allow law-abiding citizens to carry a handgun for self-defense in a National Park as long as the state in which that National Park is located allows such carry.

The National Park Service's rejection letter was not only asinine, but condescending towards America's gun owners.

My family member and I are given but one life each. I ask that you make sure that I can defend those lives while visiting a National Park!

Please let me know what you are going to do.

4. After calling and leaving a message for DOI, follow up with an email to Secretary Kempthorne:

Email address:

exsec@ios.doi.gov

Suggested email subject:

Please approve VCDL's Petition for Rule Making!

Suggested email text:

Dear Secretary Kempthorne,

I ask that you approve and implement the Virginia Citizens Defense League's (VCDL) Petition for Rule Making that would allow a law-abiding citizen to carry a handgun for self-defense in a National Park as long the state in which the park is located allows such carry.

The National Park Service sent a rejection letter to VCDL listing four very poor reasons for the rejection. None of the reasons listed legitimately justifies denying a person the right to defend the only life they have been given.

The Petition, representing over ONE MILLION gun owners, was basically rejected out-of-hand.

Please let me know what the Department of the Interior is going to do regarding this matter.

Sincerely,
    [YOUR NAME]
    [YOUR ADDRESS]

OK, ladies and gentlemen - let's ROLL!

Please spread this alert far and wide! We need gun owners from all over the country to make this happen!

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).
    VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to
    defending the human rights of all Virginians. The membership considers the
    Right to Keep and Bear Arms to be an essential human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org

2. OIS, you should probably quit posting this kind of stuff here. I mean some of the people might want to carry the wrong color of sidearm arm and the membership here at IS seems to think that we should roll over on this kind of stuff, they probably don't go to the national parks anyway so it doesn't affect them and they are more than happy to not carry in them.:evilsmile

:grouphug:

3. Look, up in the sky...

It's more gloom
    It's more doom
    It's more scare tactics

no....it's just OIS using the front page for his agenda.

I've been to many of our National Parks....survived each visit. There was a run in with a ground squirrel that had an attitude.

Living in fear is a choice people, not a healthy choice, but it's the choice you make.

4. And I've been to Denali National Park - you know, the one with Brown Bears that think Pepper Spray is a mighty fine People Seasoning. Just across the border from DNP I had a black bear tear up my camp.

What do you have against self defense firearms Quali?

5. Questions? How many people are killed or mauled each year by bears in National Parks? Compared to hunters that have self defense?

I have nothing against self defense fire arms but as someone who has a future in parks I do not believe this is the place for anyone to carry in these types of weapons.

6. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2007
  7. Go learn Karate, or something like that Jackie Chan stuff! "Self defense" may be a basic human right...but no where have I read that it requires a gun.:)

8. Simply amazing. I would have expected such responses from Liberals from Chicago or the People's Republic of California, but in Indiana? No wonder the Anti's believe they can win.

[​IMG]
    http://a-human-right.com/

I don't have an "agenda" - unless you consider upholding the Rights of Life and Liberty as Guaranteed by the US Constitution to be an "agenda".

I've been carrying a sidearm either privately or professionally my entire adult life. I don't carry out of fear. I do it because it is my duty to myself, my family, and to aid Law enforcement when necessary. I was trained while in the Military and Law Enforcement and I remain Trained as a Civillian.

Maybe you are lucky enough to have never been car-jacked. I have been. Or at least would have been had I not stuck a .45 in the face of the guy who tried it.

By all means, if you don't feel comfortable carrying a sidearm, don't. But don't presuppose that you have the moral authority to tell me how I may or may not defend my life.

9. OIS,

It is not that people don't believe in the right to carry. It is that we HATE FEAR MONGERS. and you have turned out to be as bad as the anti's in this department.

What I mean by this is that you are trying to use FEAR and SCARE TACTICS to get people to agree to your point of view. Though I agree with your POV on this issue I am sick and tired of you trying these slimy tactics to make the rest of us agree with you.:banghead3

I am sorry if this seems like an attack on you. I am just trying to help you understand why everyone on this site is not becoming your sheep.

10. Iron... belive it or not we agree on this very much..."Guns don't Kill people... people kill people"

11. Um... why is it fearmongering to point out that a proposal that the NPS had unceremoniously dumped without running it through the DOI is back on the table?

I point this out, and people tell me that there is no need to have CCW in the Parks. There is as much need in the Parks as anywhere else, so why are people so opposed to it? It's not like I'm saying everyone should or must carry. That would be as bad as telling people they can't or shouldn't

I'm saying the choice should be there for the individual to take.

Why is supporting, and asking others to support the restoration of that Right of choice "fearmongering"? I have neither lied, exaggerated not dissembled. There are dangers in the Parks, just as there are dangers on the Streets. Ignoring them won't make them go away.

If you object to the email, I didn't write it. I posted it verbatem. If you don't like the way they worded it, take it up with the VCDL.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2007
  12. (OMG, am I actually saying this...? ;) ) Thanks Brew. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2007
  13. Update: From a friend of mine with Federal LEO contacts:

"I called and spoke to the External Affairs Officer. She said a current concern was brought up regarding Federal areas that are encompassed by multiple states. The concern (she wouldn't say who raised it) is that citizens could cross state lines where the CCW would not be legal. I asked if there was any provision to have a citizens permit recognized ANYWHERE on Federal land, and she said it was being researched. Lastly, I was told that the NPS and BLM law enforcement officers are managed by civillian, non-LE personnel within the respective Departments. That situation is being addressed by various entities including recommendations from the Inspector General. However, the non-LE managers were apparently making statements/ comments on behalf on the LE personnel even though the LE personnel did not agree or concede. I was told there has been a high level of interest and correspondence and while it was not resolved, several proposals are being explored."

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2007