Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve always heard and been told that I need to bust out the cash to get into waterfowl hunting. I have maybe 200 bucks into it and have 12 decoys and ammo and my old hunting gear and a kayak and shotgun. I can’t think of anything else other than “creature comforts” that I don’t NEED. Is it all the extras that drain the bank?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I’ve always heard and been told that I need to bust out the cash to get into waterfowl hunting. I have maybe 200 bucks into it and have 12 decoys and ammo and my old hunting gear and a kayak and shotgun. I can’t think of anything else other than “creature comforts” that I don’t NEED. Is it all the extras that drain the bank?

Wish I could help you. Back in the days I started off duck hunting and deer hunting took over my life.

·
Registered
381 Posts
man i could duck hunt while crappie fishing most days. they fly rite down the river past me like im not there. lol all that it would cost me is some steel shot shells. im sure they arent cheep though. i have never got into ducks n geese cuz all the regs. and the seasons in and out crap. i can sure turn them into fine eats with brine and smoke though! man them things are tasty. i have a buddy that brings me his to smoke and gives me a couple for my troubles. he always says people would pay 100$ for one of my smoked ducks. haha im not sure about that but thanks:)

what does the federal stamp cost these days? got a lifetime license for state.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$25 for federal stamp and state waterfowl stamp was like $6. I’ve got myself pumped up scouting. Seeing alot of ducks And deer so got some new deer spots. I’m excited about eating them too (y)

·
Registered
381 Posts
The steel shot shells is what would hold me back, I hear they are almost impossible to find these days.
im sure they are priced out of range too. i have several boxes in my shotshell hoard. way back when the 1st anti usa pres. got elected i bought as much shotgun ammo bigger than #6 shot i could afford. most of that 00buck but a lot of other too. i thought it was expensive back then. lol those nitro steels make a deadly "cut shell" though. IC bore only!

what i dont get is why we need steel shot if we hunt somewhere other than water. i have ducks fly past me in my one hunting stand headed to water. i could shoot them with lead just like i do tree rats and rabbits in same place. no difference what so ever. it should be a location thing not a species thing. imo

·
Registered
381 Posts
for you successful duck guys. try this one.

half gallon water in a pot. 3/4 cup salt, cup brown sugar, table spoon rosemary(crush/grind it if whole), table spoon minced garlic, 2 table spoon "dales marinade". you can use soy or worsh. sauces too but dales rocks. boil this with lid on for 20min and let set to cool. when at room temp toss in a few ice cubes to chill. take a meat fork and poke holes in the ducks skin and meat. place duck and brine you made in gallon ziploc, and that in large bowl(in case of leak). put it in fridge for 2 days. remove from brine and let drain while you get smoker ready. smoke heavy at 225/250 till its to temp inside. i like apple with a bit of hickory or mesquite for this. almost any wood works though really. talk about lip smackin good! no 5star restaurant has any better chew. not bad on your wild turkey breast either;)

be sure to catch the drippings for later use also! duck fat is an amazing ingredient to cook with.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You’re right the shells are silly money. Gotta pay to play:cool:
Side note, 70f degrees this morning at 5:30! I’m not old enough to remember the ice age like some of you but it’s kinda warm for October haha not complaining cause I still don't have to fire up the wood stove

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I went out saturday for the very first time. I got to the lake and kayaked to my spot and by that time all my decoys were tangled of course. Got all them set out to play the wind, backed myself into the cattails and loaded up. Did some calls and 5 MINUTES later here come some high flyers right over me. I did some of the whistling calls and they circled back still a little high but I was too excited to Not shoot, didn’t matter anyway cause I forgot to take it off safety haha! Had another duck fly in from right to left SO FAST that I didn’t have to do anything except say “I think that was a duck”:unsure: so an hour or so later in come 4 birds and I blast away missing every shot. The birds landed on the bank and i looked at them in the binoculars to realize they were some sort of sandpipero_O I gotta work on my identification obviously but it seemed like my decoying and calling work so I’ll be out next weekend and try to stick to shooting at ducks only haha

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am working on my identification like I said, I know what they look like in the book but flying is a different story. I have an eye doctor appointment next month haha

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anybody getting ducks? I’ve been out a few times and been getting close enough to shoot! I keep missing haha maybe that’s why it’s expensive! Anyone able to shoot good would be killing em around me. Calling is fun, seems like I’m getting better too. The flocks are turning more towards me so that’s hopeful! The Old Lady is getting me a nicer call for Christmas so that might help if I practice. It’s a boat load of fun
PS how often should I be calling?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts